Rigorous courses. Supportive faculty. Real-world experiences. Mount Mary helps students explore their passions, develop leadership skills and transform lives.
Instructor, Fashion Design
"I see my role at Mount Mary as a catalyst for my students, to provide them with foundational skills that will spark their own creativity."
Mount Mary University’s curriculum challenges students, prepares them for ever-changing career fields and provides them foundational creative and critical thinking skills to succeed professionally and in their personal life. Students take a set of core liberal arts courses, as well as courses in their specific major. All students are strongly encouraged to participate in an internship.
Putting Textbook Principles into Practice
Professors design courses that encourage students to use principles learned in class in their career fields and community:
- Justice students study women, minorities and underserved individuals in the justice system and then intern at police departments and social service organizations.
- Graphic design students learn art techniques and technology skills and then work with local nonprofit organizations such as Habitat for Humanity and the Milwaukee Women’s Center to design promotional materials.
- Interior design students learn foundational design techniques and then design spaces to brighten up rooms at Lissy’s Place, a haven for homeless and abused women.
Enhancing Education Through Research
Faculty and students participate in research opportunities side-by-side. Professors and students conduct research and publish articles in scholarly journals and present papers important conferences in their field.
- Psychology and Sociology/Behavioral Science students use the new Behavioral Sciences Department Lab’s live observation area and computer stations to conduct research and experiments that will prepare them for graduate school.
- Chemistry and biology students receive one-on-one mentoring as they perform an independent undergraduate research project in the lab and then share their work through presentations at other colleges and conferences.
- Coursework prepares students to participate in summer research programs at top-quality research universities across the country. A chemistry major recently assisted with cancer research during a summer research experience.
- Mount Mary hosts an annual symposium for art therapy professionals and students each spring.