- Dr. Bruce Moon's latest publication, "2012 The Dynamics of Art as Therapy with Adolescents (2nd ed.)" continues in the trajectory of the first, promising to shape and provide guidance to both current and next generation of art therapists in the studio-based approach to working with a challenging and often maligned population
- Dr. Lynn Kapitan is the current Editor of Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, the leading scholarly journal in the profession. Her co-authored paper presenting participatory action research within the social activist paradigm was accepted for publication in Art Therapy.
- Dr. Chris Belkofer contributed the Preface to Dr. Moon’s new book, and wrote a review of Art Therapy and Clinical Neuroscience for the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association.
- Susan Loesl, Adjunct Instructor, submitted an editorial for the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association's special edition on art therapy in the schools.
- Dr. Chris Belkofer, assistant professor of art therapy, and Emily Nolan, adjunct faculty and current Mount Mary College art therapy doctoral student, presented in January 2013 at the first annual International Week of the Institute of Social Studies at HAN University of Applied Sciences in Nijmegen, Holland. The conference, featuring presenters from 14 countries, explored creative solutions for social workers and therapists to address the economic and social changes of Western Europe. Belkofer and Nolan provided their expertise in the creative use of the arts and developed relationships with mental health caregivers and scholars from a wide range of cultural backgrounds.
- Dr. Chris Belkofer and Dr. Bruce Moon presented at the annual conference of the American Art Therapy Association.
- Dr. Bruce Moon presented a paper titled, "The Long Awaited Demise of Woo Woo: Reconsidering Clinical Art Therapy" at the Buckeye Art Therapy Association symposium in Columbus, Ohio, in September 2012. In October he provided the keynote presentation at the Canadian Art Therapy Association national conference and presented a paper at the Illinois Art Therapy Association conference.
- Dr. Lynn Kapitan gave the keynote presentation at a joint symposium sponsored by the Potomac, Virginia and Maryland art therapy associations in October 2012.
- Dr. Lynn Kapitan led a group of 10 Mount Mary College students on a three-week trip to Nicaragua in June 2012.
- Lynn Kapitan presented a paper on community-based art therapy in Nicaragua trauma care at the 2011 “Journey Toward Healing” conference in Belfast, North Ireland.
Mount Mary to work with United Community Center
January 2012 --
Mount Mary's Art Therapy Department established a relationship with Milwaukee's United Community Center (UCC) that includes internship opportunities. Mary Williams, an alumna of the masters program, was recently featured on ¡Adelante!, a local television program, for her work at the UCC.
Professional Doctorate of Art Therapy 2011-12 Cohort Reaches Capacity
May 24, 2011 -- In just over two weeks, the summer cohort reaches capacity for the 2011-12 year.
"This exceeds our expectations and bodes well for the program. We're very pleased with the high quality of the applicants," said Dr. Lynn Kapitan, Ph.D, ATR-BC, Professor of Graduate Art Therapy and Doctoral Program Director. Learn more about the Professional Doctorate of Art Therapy program.
Mount Mary College will be a Gold Level sponsorof the 43rd Annual Conference of the American Art Therapy Association taking place July6-9, 2011 in Washington DC.
|Dr. Kapitan (right) receives an Honorary
Lifetime Membership from the Wisconsin Art Therapy Association.
Sculptural Pursuit: Mount Mary Art
Therapy graduate, Allison DeCamillis, is featured in the Summer
2009 edition of Sculptural Pursuit about her work as an art
therapist in Birmingham, Alabama.
Honorary Life Member Award Recipient:
Dr. Bruce Moon, graduate program
director, received the Honorary
Life Member Award from the American Art Therapy Association, 2009.
"Art Therapy: Compassion in Action," an article which appeared in the Mount Mary College Magazine in Spring 2008.