I Have a Current Student
Tips for Support
- Encourage your student to be involved in the Mount Mary community. Involvement in extracurricular activities and study groups helps your student develop leadership skills and helps with career preparation that will be key to her success. Encourage her to get involved.
- Remember that your student is pulled in many different directions—she will face new challenges as a student. A little patience and understanding can go a long way.
- Help her find resources to support her success. Many of these resources, like individual counseling, career preparation, and tutoring, are outlined below. Reminder your student that it is okay to ask for help.
- Respect her quiet study time. College requires a lot of work. Lighten her load if you are able.
FERPA is a federal privacy law that gives parents certain protections with regard
to their children's education records, such as report cards, transcripts, disciplinary
records, contact and family information, and class schedules.
- Student Success Center: Academic advising, testing, a quiet place to study, career development services, and tutoring are all available, free of charge, for Mount Mary students.
- Registrar’s Office: Student records, transcripts, grades, and diplomas
- Study Abroad: Travel and academic opportunities available
- Mental Health Counseling: Students are often faced with challenges during their collegiate experience; these challenges, balanced with events occurring at home and in other areas of their lives, can be overwhelming for man students. Professional counselors can assist students in transitions and emotional development during their time at Mount Mary.
- Athletics: Mount Mary offers 7 Division III athletic teams - volleyball, soccer, tennis, cross country, basketball, golf, and softball.
- Residence Life: All full-time first-year students who are not living at home with parents or immediate relatives must reside in University housing. The residence hall is staffed with live-in professionals trained to build community and respond to student needs.
- Student Engagement: The place to go for involvement and leadership. Learn about programs, events, student organizations, and leadership development. Programs are offered to all students - on and off campus.
- Promise Program: A federally funded TRIO Student Support Services program that serves first-generation and low-income college students to help them remain in good academic standing and graduate. Resources include tutoring, workshops, FAFSA assistance, counseling, career advising, advanced degree planning, and more.
- Campus Ministry: Creates a sense of community through developing relationships, celebrating all faith background, and giving service.
New Student Registration: the first step for newly enrolled students. On this day, students will register for their classes after meeting with an academic advisor, finalize any outstanding paperwork, get information on Mount Mary’s Core curriculum, and accomplish several other small tasks. After a student attends a Registration Day, they will be able to access their campus email. For a current list of dates, or to sign up for a New Student Registration Day, students and their families should contact their Admission Counselor.
New Student Orientation: All new students are required to attend the New Student Orientation program. Orientation is scheduled at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters and is designed to be a comprehensive introduction to Mount Mary. Important information is shared regarding academic resources, student services, technological resources, and more. The orientation program is also a great opportunity for new students to meet and get to know one another, get to know the campus, and find out about exciting student opportunities outside of the classroom. For more information, including the date of the upcoming New Student Orientation, contact an Admission Counselor or the Office of Student Engagement.
Investiture: All new students are invited to participate in the time honored Mount Mary tradition, the Investiture ceremony. In the ceremony, new students are introduced to the Mount Mary community and provided with the “Light of Learning” that will carry them through their time at Mount Mary and help them to achieve success. Families and loved ones are invited to witness this unique celebration of the beginning of the student’s Mount Mary journey. A cake and punch reception follows the event. To learn more about Mount Mary traditions visit our Things You Should Know. For more information, contact the Office of Student Engagement.
Homecoming on the Mount: A new tradition at Mount Mary, Homecoming on the Mount is a celebration of Mount Mary University’s past, present and future. Featuring events
for students, alumnae, and the Mount Mary community, Homecoming on the Mount has something
Christmas on the Mount: The whole Mount Mary community comes together to celebrate the holidays with the annual Christmas on the Mount event. The event features a special meal, musical performances from students, a silent auction, and even a visit from Santa Claus himself! For more information, contact the Office of Student Affairs.
Step Singing: Dating back to the beginning of Mount Mary’s history is the Step Singing Ceremony. Held the night before each Commencement, this ceremony features a passing of the “light of learning” lantern, as well as student led singing of songs, reading of poetry, and a celebration of the accomplishments of the graduating students. In Spring, the Student Leadership and Service awards are presented. Family and loved ones are invited to enjoy this ceremony, as well as the Alumane Association sponsored reception afterwards. To learn more about Mount Mary traditions visit our Things You Should Know. For more information, contact the Office of Student Engagement.
Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of both Fall and Spring semesters. All graduating students are invited to participate in these events and should consult the MyMountMary Commencement page for important information about tickets, graduation fees, and more.
With your support of our students, Mount Mary students will be educated and empowered to transform the world. Please consider supporting Mount Mary University through a financial commitment.