Mount Mary’s dedicated and student-centered science faculty bring real-world experience to the classroom and are energized by the success of their students. With personal attention from such a caring faculty, Mount Mary students are academically prepared for successful careers and personally inspired with “can do” attitudes.
Mount Mary’s biology program emphasizes scientific inquiry as a path to scientific literacy. The discovery-oriented curriculum engages students in active problem solving through a variety of instructional strategies including problem based learning, process oriented guided inquiry and inquiry-based laboratories. Such student-centered learning experiences prepare biology majors to conduct their own undergraduate research projects. To meet this goal, the biology program incorporates undergraduate research into upper level courses.
Biology offers a broad choice of career opportunities following graduation. These course sequences will help direct you toward your future career goals -
- General – wide choice of courses pertaining to student interests. Prepares students for entry-level positions after graduation.
- Health Sciences – prepares students for professional and post-baccalaureate studies (medicine, dentistry, veterinary, graduate school, etc.)
- Biology – prepares students for teaching biology at the middle or secondary level
- Broad field - prepares student to teach broad field science to early adolescence/adolescence students
Why choose Mount Mary College to study biology?
- enjoy small class sizes (between 10 and 30 students)
- gain proficiency in basic laboratory techniques in our up-to-date facilities
- work side-by-side with faculty and students exploring biological issues relevant to the real world
- experience a collaborative learning environment
- learn to think critically and creatively
- develop new leadership capabilities
- prepare for professional success