Dietetic Internship - Admission and Application Information
To be eligible for admission to the Dietetic Internship program, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a bachelor's degree prior to the start date of the program.
- Complete all Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) program requirements prior to the start date of the program at a college accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. Didactic requirements will normally have been completed no more than two years prior to applying.
- Obtain a signed Intent to Complete form (if you have not yet completed DPD requirements) or a Verification Statement from your program director.
- Obtain an overall and DPD minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a minimum of a “C” grade for any course required for the undergraduate dietetics/nutrition major.
- Work experience (paid or volunteer) related to health care and/or food service is highly preferred.
- Apply using the on-line Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System, DICAS, including an additional Mount Mary College specific personal statement. (See DICAS procedure below.)
- Register online to participate in the computer matching system managed by D&D Digital Systems. Comply with all computer match procedures and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15. The fee is currently $50.00, regardless of how many programs you apply to. Students are notified at the April match date of the outcome of their application.
- Submit an application fee of $35 payable to "Mount Mary College" postmarked by Feb. 15th.
Be sure to complete the following:
- Write "Dietetic Internship" on the memo line of the check.
- Please include a note with your check that states your name, address, phone number and email address. This is to ensure that your application check is properly processed under the correct applicant's account.
- Please mail your check and contact information to: Office for Graduate Education, Mount Mary College, 2900 N. Menomonee River Pkwy., Milwaukee, WI 53222.
NOTE: No separate application to the Mount Mary College Graduate Program in Dietetics is required unless the applicant is computer matched with Mount Mary College. The application fee for the graduate program is then waived.
The DICAS Procedure
The Mount Mary College Dietetic Internship Program is using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org, or by email DICASinfo@DICAS.org.
DICAS will be available in December for the Spring match. The on-line application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15. The fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement limited to 1,000 words. All of the following topics should be addressed.
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career,
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- What other information do you consider important for the selection process?
- Why are you specifically interested in the Mount Mary College Dietetic Internship program?
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
DICAS- Transcript Dept
PO Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
The Dietetic Internship Selection Committee selects participants based on academic performance, work experience (paid or volunteer), the letter of application and resume, letters of recommendation, and compatibility of the applicant’s goals with the design of the Mount Mary College Dietetic Internship program.
Interviews are not conducted as part of the selection process.
Applicants are notified of the computer match results on D&D Digital’s website on Sunday, April 7, 2013 after 6:00 p.m., Central Time, using a personal login and password. Matched applicants must confirm or decline acceptance to the program by contacting the Mount Mary College Dietetic Internship Director by 5:00 p.m. Central Time on April 9, 2013.
Once matched to Mount Mary’s internship, dietetic interns must also successfully complete a background information disclosure that is in compliance with the Wisconsin Caregiver Program. The criminal records check may affect eligibility to participate in the required experiences and thus affect internship completion.
Back to top