Master of Arts in English
Publications by the English Department
Sigma Tau Delta - Honor Society
Student Newspaper - ARCHES
the Dept. Info Sheet
Academic Areas of Study
Complete an Interest Form
Ann Angel, M.F.A.
Associate Professor of English
- M.A. Communication, emphasis in Journalism, 1983
- MFA in Writing, 1999, Vermont College of Fine Arts
Recent Awards and Honors:
- Ann received honors for her recent publication Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing including:
- Mount Mary College, 2010 Excellence in Teaching Award. (September 2010)
- A Room of Her Own (AROHO) Foundation. Ann Angel spent a week in August 2009 at Georgia O’Keefe’s summer residence, Ghost Ranch, in Abiquiu, New Mexico
studying under renowned memoirist, Melanie Hall. Applying for the first time,
Ann was selected as one of 65 participants. (August 2009)
In the News:
- Art Works (March 13, 2012) "Art Talk with Ann Angel."
Ann was interviewed by the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Ann was featured in the media for her recent publication, Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing including:
- WUWM, "Lake Effect."(2012, January 19).
- Higgins, Jim. (2010, December 18). "Paging through Wisconsin books." JSOnline.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. (2010, November 24).
- MomTV-Adoption Angels. (2010, November 24).
- Fleming, Peggy (2010, October). Review for nonfiction, grades 5 and up. School Library Journal.
This book is well researched with more than 100 notes referring to specific quotes from friends, family, and magazines. Teens will be intrigued by the life of this cult figure."
--Peggy Fleming, School Library Journal, October 2010
- Bialek, Nan. (2010, August 25). "Author Spreads Her Wings." BrookfieldNow.Com.
About Ann Angel:
Ann promoted her new release, Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing at a book signing in December 2010. She was joined by her Mount Mary College colleague, JoAnn Early Macken who is promoting her work entitled Flip, Float, Fly: Seeds on the Move and Waiting Out the Storm.
Classes Taught: Creative fiction, nonfiction and writing for children and adolescents.
Favorite Spot at Mount Mary: I love my office because I can look out over the woods.
Mount Mary Wisdom: I've been part and full time at Mount Mary since 1989. After a while, Mount Mary feels like home.
Favorite Music: Classic rock, soul and blues mostly by women such as Etta James, Tina Turner, and Janis Joplin.
See a list of Ann's published work.
Meet Ann through an informal four question interview posted on You Tube.