<Back to Faculty Listing
Dr. Carrie King, Ph.D., LPC, NCC
Director of Master of Science in Counseling Program
Behavioral Sciences Department
Social Science and Related Disciplines Division
- B.S., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, May 1993
Major: Psychology; Minor: English
- M.S., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, August 1995
Major: Educational Psychology with specialization in School Counseling
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, August 2003
Major: Urban Education with specialization in Counseling Psychology (APA Accredited)
Minor: Clinical Psychology
Dissertation: "Racial self-concept and ethnic identity's influence on academic self-concept and high school achievement"
I am a licensed Professional School Counselor, License Profession Counselor –WI, and National Certified Counselor with over 15 years experience providing mental health services to high school students, as well as in the community and corrections settings. My clinical work has granted me the privilege of working with a diverse clientele. I've immersed myself in issues related to race and socioeconomic diversity. I consult with businesses, organizations and schools to promote cultural competence and a positive work and school environment.
- Multicultural Counseling
- Counseling Children & Adolescents
- Counseling in the Schools
- Career Development
- Internship in School Counseling
- Theories in Counseling
- Orientation to School Counseling
Recent Presentations -
- King, C. (August 8, 2012). "Teaching and Learning Strategies for Students with Emotional Issues."
Developing a Coherent Model for RTI and PBIS. Learning Support Team Training for Archdiocese
of Milwaukee, Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee, WI.
- King, C. & Wood, E. (February 23, 2012). Increasing work readiness with project-based career
education. Annual Wisconsin School Counselor Association Conference, Madison, WI.
- Collier, L. & King, C. (February 23, 2012). Supporting Students with Trauma Sensitive School
Curriculum. Annual Wisconsin School Counselor Association Conference, Madison, WI.
- King, C. (February 9, 2012) "Culture's Influence on Adherence and Compliance." The Asthma Institute for the American Lung Association in WI, Wauwatosa, WI.
- Collier, L. & King, C. (November 5, 2011). "Community Mental Health Collaborating to Create Trauma Sensitive Schools." Wisconsin Counseling Association Fall 2011 Summit, WI Rapids, WI.
- King, C. & Scheidegger, T. (November 5, 2011). "Using an Ethical Decision Making Model to Navigate Your Way to a Decision." Intensive half-day session. Wisconsin Counseling Association Fall 2010 Summit, WI Rapids, WI.
Professional Affiliations -
- American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- Wisconsin School Counselor Association (WSCA)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- Wisconsin Counseling Association (WCA)
Professional Interests -
Cross-cultural counseling, mental health and counseling issues of LGBTQ youth, disparities in health care, school counseling, school-age children with DSM-IV-TR diagnosis.