Dietetic Internship Program Admission Process
To be eligible for admission to the dietetic internship program, you must meet the following requirements.
- Complete a bachelor’s degree prior to the start date of the internship program.
- Complete all Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) program requirements at a college accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics prior to the start date of your program. Didactic requirements normally need to have been completed no more than two years prior to applying.
- Obtain a signed Intent to Complete form (if you have not yet completed DPD requirements) or a Verification Statement that you have completed the DPD requirements from your program director.
- Have an overall and DPD minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, and a minimum of a C grade for any course required for the undergraduate dietetics/nutrition major.
- Work experience (paid or volunteer) related to health care and/or food service is highly preferred.
How to Apply
Mount Mary University uses the online Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) application. DICAS is available in December for the spring match. The online application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CDT on February 15.
When completing the DICAS application form, you must include the name and contact information for each reference (including an email address). This will trigger an email message requesting completion of a reference form. The form must be completed online. Students who submit more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS are asked to complete a Mount Mary program-specific personal statement limited to 8,000 characters (about 1,000 words). The following questions must be addressed in your statement:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses, or areas needing improvement?
- What other information do you consider important for the selection process?
- Why are you specifically interested Mount Mary University’s dietetic internship program?
Dietetic Internship Costs and Fees
Please note there is a $35 application fee made payable to "Mount Mary University." See steps below for information on when to submit this application fee.
Step-by-Step Application Instructions
- Apply online using the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS), including an additional Mount Mary-specific personal statement.
- Register online to participate in the computer matching system managed by D&D Digital Systems. Comply with all computer match procedures and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. CDT on February 15. You will be notified of your application’s outcome at the April match date.
- Submit a $35 application fee made payable to “Mount Mary University.” Be sure to complete the following:
- Write "Dietetic Internship" on the memo line of the check.
- Please include a note with your check that states your name, address, phone number and email address. This is to ensure that your application check is properly processed under the correct applicant’s account.
- Mail your check and contact information to: Mount Mary University, Graduate Admission Office, 2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway, Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597.
NOTE: No separate application to the Mount Mary University graduate program in dietetics is required unless the applicant is computer matched with Mount Mary University. The application fee for the graduate program is then waived.
Dietetic Internship Selection Process
The Dietetic Internship Selection Committee selects participants based on academic performance, work experience (paid or volunteer), the letter of application, resume, letters of recommendation and compatibility of the applicant’s goals with the design of Mount Mary’s dietetic internship program.
Interviews are not conducted as part of the selection process.
Applicants are typically notified of the computer match results on D&D Digital Systems’ website the first Sunday in April after 6 p.m. CDT. You will need to log in with your personal username and password to get your results. Matched applicants must confirm or decline acceptance to the program by contacting Mount Mary’s dietetic internship program director by 5 p.m. CDT within 48 hours of match notification.
Once matched to Mount Mary’s dietetic internship, you must also successfully complete a background information disclosure that is in compliance with the Wisconsin Caregiver Program. The criminal records check may affect eligibility to participate in the required experiences and thus affect internship completion.