More in this section More in this section

Earn College Credit Through Youth Options

Get a jump-start on creating a brighter future by earning college credit while you’re still in high school.

The Youth Options program allows juniors and seniors attending a Wisconsin public high school to take college-level courses and receive both college and high school credit. Youth Options is open to male and female high school students. Youth Options courses are on college campuses, including Mount Mary University in Milwaukee.

We encourage you to contact our Youth Options Coordinator for specific information regarding admission criteria, credit limits, and course offerings.

About the Youth Options Program

The Youth Options program is sponsored by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (WDPI). To learn how to get started, follow these steps:

  1. Talk to your high school guidance counselor.
  2. Visit the WDPI website for details and frequently asked questions about the program.
  3. Plan ahead. For the fall semester, the deadline to submit the PI-8700 form (below) to your school district is March 1st. For the spring semester, the deadline to submit is October 1st.
  4. Research course options in Mount Mary University’s course catalog and work with Mount Mary’s Youth Options Coordinator to find eligible courses (Hint: You'll want to do this before submitting the PI-8700 to your school district!).

How to Apply to the Youth Options Program

  1. Complete the Youth Options Program Plan and Report (PI-8700), found on the WDPI Youth Options webpage. Consult with the Mount Mary Youth Options Coordinator when filling out this form to ensure the courses you want are offered and eligible.
  2. Complete Mount Mary University’s Youth Options Special Student Application. The priority deadline to submit this application is April 15th for the fall semester and November 15th for the spring semester (Hint: The earlier you submit all paperwork, the earlier you may register for classes, if approved).
  3. Submit your official high school transcripts (ACT scores are optional) to Mount Mary’s Admission Office. Students must demonstrate strong academic performance to be approved.
  4. Complete and submit the Youth Options Participant Agreement Form.*
  5. Complete and submit the Youth Options Billing Information Form (Note: Students of Milwaukee Public Schools are not required to complete this billing form).*

*Contact our Youth Options Coordinator to obtain these forms.

Please Note: Continuing Youth Options students (those who have completed one or more semester through the program) are required to complete this same application process for every semester you wish to participate.

What to Do After You’re Approved

If you are approved to participate in the Youth Options program, you will receive confirmation from the Youth Options Coordinator with instructions on how to register. You’ll then need to take the following steps:

  1. Register for the course(s) you selected, if room is available in the courses.
  2. Attend orientation. A mandatory orientation is held before the semester starts to help you get acquainted with the Mount Mary campus and prepare for the first day of class.
  3. Buy or rent textbooks. It is your responsibility to purchase or rent your textbooks before class begins. Be sure to save your receipts because some districts offer reimbursement. Textbooks are available at Mount Mary’s bookstore.

After you complete the course, you can receive your official transcripts through the Mount Mary University Registrar’s Office.

Student Privacy Rights

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Regardless of age, once a student is enrolled at a postsecondary institution, the FERPA rights transfer from the parent to the student.

As a participant in Youth Options, students are considered enrolled in a postsecondary institution, so their rights are transferred. Because Youth Options students are enrolled in both high school and college, the two schools may exchange information about the student. The rights still remain to the parent regarding high school records and the parent may inspect and review records sent by the college to the high school.

If a student wants to complete a FERPA waiver form, they can give their parent rights to access their Mount Mary information. Contact the Youth Options Coordinator for the FERPA waiver form.


Contact the Mount Mary Youth Options Coordinator for assistance:

Brittany Hartl
Call or text 414-930-3557