Interior Design & Merchandising Student Activities
The interior design and merchandising programs offer many opportunities to get involved in professional organizations, service learning activities and networking opportunities.
Professional Organization Student Chapters & Affiliations
Professional networking is key to creating success. You can participate in networking opportunities through the following organizations:
- American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) Student Chapter: Mount Mary’s ASID chapter focuses on educational, professional and personal advancement opportunities through workshops, networking events and community service activities. Contact the department, (414) 256-1213, for more information on this club.
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA): The Wisconsin chapter of IIDA provides you with networking, award recognition and scholarship opportunities.
- Construction Specifications Institute Milwaukee Chapter (CSI): CSI supports interior design students at Mount Mary through scholarship opportunities.
- National Association for Women in Construction (NAWIC): The Milwaukee Chapter offers volunteer and scholarship opportunities to Mount Mary interior design students.
- Hospitality Industry Network (NEWH): This organization supports Mount Mary interior design students through scholarships.
Service Learning in Interior Design
Service learning opportunities that use your interior design knowledge and skills are provided through your courses at Mount Mary and through the Interior Design Student Chapter. Projects include remodeling rooms in homeless shelters, remodeling offices for nonprofit organizations and remodeling educational facilities. Mount Mary interior design students even designed the student lounges on several Caroline Hall residence hall floors.
Latin for "to make, create, produce," CREO is an annual celebration of creativity that showcases student work from Mount Mary
fine art, fashion, graphic design and interior design programs. CREO is forward-thinking
and ever-developing. It's an opportunity for a cross-generational audience to experience
a cross-disciplinary slice of Milwaukee's creative talent.
Interior design students participate at the event by featuring the sustainTABLE CHAIRity Silent Auction which showcases refurbished furniture and upcycled items. All proceeds from the auction are used to complete the community service projects mentioned above in Service Learning in Interior Design.