Chair and Assistant Professor, Justice Department
Coordinator, LOTUS Legal Clinic at Mount Mary University
Phone: (414) 258-4810, ext. 442
Office: Kostka Hall, room 338
- Marquette University Law School, J.D., cum laude, May 2004
- Marquette University, Honors B.A. in English and Theology, magna cum laude, May 1999
"Mount Mary's undergraduate justice majors are amazing women. I get to train them
to enter the professional world and to make changes for social good. This happens
within their own lives at the same time as it ripples out to effect the community.
I teach about women's law, human trafficking, gender violence, comparative and international
law and innovative legal responses to persistent legal problems and new ones created
by new technology, climate change, and populations in flux.
The LOTUS Legal Clinic (Legal Options for Trafficked and Underserved Survivors) and the Untold Stories program series are lynchpins and signature for Mount Mary's work on social justice. We are committed to a survivor-centered view of changing the status quo of law and culture.
In the classroom, I also have the joy of sharing my practice experiences in the field of Elder Mediation- a branch of dispute resolution that works with Elder law, probate, trust, and adult guardianship issues. I draw on my professional network to help my students find their unique place in the law."
“Bridging Professional Worlds; Interdisciplinary Conflict Resolution Education," Association for Conflict Resolution’s Annual Conference, Minneapolis, October 2013
“Women as Negotiators” New Leadership Institute, Mount Mary University, June 2013
“Overcoming Fear of Change; Dealing with Difficult Families.” State of Wisconsin DHS Office of the Blind and Visually Impaired, April 2013
“Reclaiming Our Third Age; Reflections from Elder Law and Mediation” Prairie Circle Universalist Unitarian Church, March, 2013
“Dynamics of Elder Conflict; Families and Finances” Association for Conflict Resolution’s
Conference in New Orleans, Sept. 2012
“Young Lawyers and ADR; the New Practice of Law” Appellate, Litigation, and Dispute
Section of the Wisconsin State Bar’s Institute, July 2012
Dispute Resolution for Young Lawyers: The New Practice of Law, Fox Valley and Brown
Lawyers Division, Fond du Lac, WI, Oct. 2011
Family Conflict and Mediation, Alzheimer’s Association, Fond du Lac, WI, June 2011
Deconstructing Agesim, 4th Annual Conflict Resolution Education Conference, Cuyahoga College, Cleveland, OH, June 2011
Milwaukee Interfaith Caregivers, June 2011
Hot Topics, Ethics, and Best Practices in Dispute Resolution, Wisconsin State Bar, Litigation, Appellate Practice, and Dispute Resolution Institute, Milwaukee, WI, May 2011
Honoring Our Elders, Mount Carmel Lutheran Church, Wauwatosa, WI, March, 2011
Wisconsin State Bar, Elderly and the Law, March 2011
Awards & Honors:
Business Journal of Milwaukee, selected as class member of 2013 “40 Under 40”
“INBOX column, Letter on LOTUS Legal Clinic” Wisconsin Lawyer, October, 2013
“LOTUS Legal Clinic” Association of Women Lawyers, October 2013
“ProBono Corner; LOTUS Legal Clinic” Milwaukee Bar Association, November, 2013
“Durable Goods” essay on Writing Workshops for Trauma Survivors, “ON” Fall 2013 Newsletter, Wisconsin Humanities Council
Elder Care and Mediation; a seven part web-based video series, (actor, co-producer and writer) sponsored by the Dane County Bar Association, the Jennie H. Olsen Charitable Foundation and John C. Mitby, J.D., August 2012
“Capacity to Mediate; Respecting Voices and Choices” 21 ELD. L. NEWS 2, State Bar of Wisconsin, Spring 2011, 9 -11, 2011.
“WisPACT Trusts: ATC’s Best Kept Secret?” Windows on Wealth Management, Vol. 1 Issue 3, July 2011.
“Preserving the Family Vacation Home” Strategies, Associated Trust Company, August 2011
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Program Chair and Organizer, “Integrating Mediation into your Practice.” Pinnacle Seminar, June 2013
- Wills For Heroes, Estate Planning Site Specialist; A volunteer-run program preparing free estate plans for Wisconsin First Responders, Police and Fire Departments.
- WISLAP; Wisconsin Lawyers Assistance Program; program monitor and volunteer attorney for a peer support, mentoring, and education program designed to assist the mental, physical, and emotional health needs of the legal community. 2009- present
- Dispute Resolution Section, Board Member, 2010 - 2013, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI
- Dispute Resolution Program, Volunteer judge for Intramural Negotiation and Mediation Competition, March 2009 - present
- Marquette University Law School Faculty Blog, Alumni Contributor of the Month, June 2009
- Restorative Justice Program, participant in restorative justice circle, Fall 2009, Green Bay Correctional Facility, circle facilitator Prof. Janine Geske.
- Association of Marquette University Women, Milwaukee, WI
- President, 2011- 2013, Vice President/President Elect, 2010, Board Member, 2009
- Marquette University Alumni Association National Board, Milwaukee, WI, Director, 2013
- Milwaukee County Human Trafficking Task Force, Milwaukee WI, Member at inception, January, 2012
Grants and Special Projects:
- Wisconsin Humanities Council Grant for Untold Stories Workshop, 2013, $7,000
- Creation of LOTUS Legal Clinic (Legal Options for Trafficked and Underserved Survivors) 2013
- Untold Stories Program Series, including We Are the Stories We Tell Testimonial Writing Workshop in partnership with The Voices and Faces Project, 2012, 2013