What does it take to become an Occupational Therapist?
Occupational therapy is a health profession that allows you to help people of all ages live satisfying and productive lives by redesigning daily occupations or tasks to maximize their independence in living. Occupational therapists work in schools, hospitals, nursing facilities, home health care and behavioral health care settings. They plan activities and approaches to help people who are experiencing mental, physical, developmental or emotional conditions.
To be an occupational therapist, you need to be a good listener, enjoy working with people with illness or life challenges, be an excellent communicator and creative problem solver, enjoy both art and science, and be fascinated by how the human body works and the healing process.
Occupational therapists are required to have a master’s degree from an accredited institution and be certified in order to obtain employment. Mount Mary occupational therapy graduates have an excellent job placement rate in the Milwaukee metropolitan area and other regions of the country.
High Demand for Occupational Therapists
Occupational therapists are in high demand nationally, and Mount Mary occupational therapists are in even higher demand: Many healthcare companies have stated a preference for hiring Mount Mary graduates due to their reputation for being exceptional, creative practitioners. Need proof of the demand?
- Forbes named occupational therapy #3 on its list of "Best Jobs in Healthcare" for 2014.
- US News & World Report named occupational therapy #11 on its list of 100 Best Jobs in 2013.
- In 2013, CNN Money reported that occupational therapy is a stable field, with therapists making an average of $75,000.
- The online news source “24/7WallSt” named occupational therapy #9 on its list of 10 best paying jobs. The list includes jobs expected to grow by as much as 60 percent over the next decade and have salaries double the current national average.
- Forbes magazine named occupational therapy #13 on its list of the top 20 best paying jobs for women in 2012.