Being Green in our Community
Mount Mary College encourages ongoing efforts toward sustainability and social justice. Several efforts both on-campus and off stand as examples in this collaboration.
- A Community Garden, located on campus grounds off 92nd and Hadley, provides fresh, organic vegetables which are donated to the Second Harvest Food Bank and Milwaukee's Hunger Task Force. The garden also provides service opportunities for students.
- The Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) promotes community service by providing the opportunity close to home. Students and athletes are encouraged to participate in a springtime Campus Clean-Up (shown at right) each year as part of the campus Earth Day recognition.
- Groups such as Campus Ministry and the Student Government help to organize efforts such as
- Arranging collections of lightly used clothing and shoes that are then donated to other organizations
- Collection of bottle caps for special recycling
- The Historic Costume Collection recycles their collection with annual sales.
- Furniture that is no longer needed on campus is offered for sale annually and funds used to offset updated office equipment.