Watch the festivities for the inauguration of Dr. Isabel Cherney, Mount Mary's 13th president, this Friday. We'll be streaming events starting at 3:30 p.m. CST at https://youtube.com/live/up-sujC7oVM?feature=share.
Mass | 1:30-2:30 p.m.
CHRIST KING CHURCH | 2604 North Swan Boulevard, Milwaukee, WI 53226
Inauguration Ceremony | 3:30-4:30 p.m.
MOUNT MARY UNIVERSITY | Alumnae Dining Hall | 2900 North Menomonee River Parkway, Milwaukee, WI 53222
Reception | 4:30-7 p.m.
MOUNT MARY UNIVERSITY | Alumnae Dining Hall
We are looking forward to your participation in March 31, 2023 inaugural festivities as Dr. Isabelle Cherney is officially installed as Mount Mary University's 13th President.
- Follow this link to the map showing these locations as well as parking lots. We encourage you to park in Mount Mary University's large parking area off of 92nd street (free parking, no permit needed). If you want to park at Christ King Parish for mass, a parking area is accessible from 91st street.
- When you return to campus after mass, please proceed to Helfaer Hall on the main level at the west end of Caroline Hall and just before Haggerty Library. This room is where you will dress in your academic regalia and line up for the processional.
- Please be at this location and ready to walk by 3:10 p.m. There will be a mirror and coat rack in the space. A marshal will be in the room to answer questions and organize the line in order of the founding of your institution, and will lead your group in the processional. Feel free to leave any personal belongs in this room during the ceremony as this room will be locked when you are not there. If you are not attending mass, this space will be available starting at 2:45 p.m.
- After the ceremony concludes, you will process out of the Alumnae Dining Room and return to Helfaer Hall so you may collect your personal belongings and change out of your academic regalia. We will leave the room unlocked after the ceremony and will have a volunteer available to answer questions and ensure that your regalia is secure. Your name tag will be near the entrance of the Alumnae Dining Room for you to retrieve prior to the reception.
- If you have any questions prior to the event, please contact Gina Mazzone Executive Administrative Assistant, Academic Affairs at (414) 930-3274 or via email at email@example.com.
Honor President Cherney
As we look to celebrate and welcome our 13th President, Isabelle Cherney, Ph.D., we invite you to make a gift that will honor and support Dr. Cherney's commitment to student education.
A limited number of discounted rooms available for your stay.
11320 West Burleigh Street, Wauwatosa, WI 53222
Courtesy Guest Room Block (4-week cut-off):
March 30-April 1, 2023
- 12 Rooms – 1 King Bed Studio Suites per day | Discounted room rate of $144 per night
- 13 Rooms – 2 Queen Bed, 1 Bedroom Suites per day | Discounted room rate of $154 per night
- Wi-Fi in all guest rooms
- Parking on-site
- Complimentary breakfast included
While in Town...
Milwaukee has some amazing attractions. See what you can explore and enjoy while you’re in town.
Meet Dr. Cherney, President of Mount Mary University
"I feel so very blessed to serve this diverse, vibrant, dynamic, innovative and talented community of learners."
Isabelle Cherney, Ph.D.
President of Mount Mary University
Isabelle Cherney, Ph.D., a nationally recognized social scientist and educator, will be inaugurated as Mount Mary University’s 13th on March 31, 2023. The ceremony will take place in the Alumnae Dining Hall on the Mount Mary campus, following mass at Christ King Church in Milwaukee.
Cherney assumed her duties as Mount Mary President on July 1, 2022, upon the retirement of former president, Christine Pharr, Ph.D.
Cherney’s academic research focuses on the effects of gender on STEM education and career pathways. She has experience in launching new programs, supporting educators and establishing early college and dual degree programs that provide high school students early exposure to college. A nationally acclaimed researcher, Cherney was invited by the Obama administration on four occasions to participate in White House conferences.
She was previously vice provost for graduate education at Merrimack College near Boston, Mass. Cherney has held multiple roles at the college since 2016, including dean of the Winston School of Education and Social Policy and founding director of the Merrimack Institute for New Teacher Support.
Cherney has also held positions at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., since 2000, including professor, director of the honors program, founding director of the interdisciplinary doctoral program in leadership, and the associate dean of the Graduate School and College of Professional Studies.
“Dr. Cherney’s professional accomplishments reflect her deep appreciation for educating the whole person, the importance of life-long learning, the Catholic intellectual tradition and charisms, the promotion of peace, social justice, truth, global citizenship and the common good,” said Board of Trustee President Stephanie Russell, who also oversaw the presidential search along with Mount Mary Trustee Mary Jo Layden.
Cherney’s steady leadership in higher education resulted in enrollment and revenue growth, a particularly noteworthy accomplishment during the uncertain years of COVID. Under Cherney’s direction as dean of the Winston School of Education & Social Policy, the number of students nearly doubled and the revenue increased over 30%. As vice-provost for graduate education, graduate enrollment increased over 20% during the first waves of the Covid-19 pandemic, which resulted in an increase in revenue of 24%.
“I am well prepared to continue to refine, update, implement and assess Mount Mary University’s bold strategic plan and expand and build on its pillars of strengths,” Cherney said. “I am excited at the prospect of being able to shape the goals around women’s education to inspire and transform not only women, but society as a whole.”