Tips for Sophomores
As you begin thinking about college, you may feel unsure of what steps to take next. That's a normal feeling! Below are a few easy tips to help you stay on track as you research your college options.
- Study hard and get good grades. Because colleges look at all four years of academics, remember to continue to do your homework, study hard for tests and participate in class.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities and volunteering/community service. Continue your involvement in activities you started as a freshman or choose to get involved in other activities of interest to you.
- Follow colleges on social media. Follow Mount Mary on social media to get a taste for campus life. Find us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!
- Visit campus. Get a head start on exploring colleges that appeal to you. Visit Mount Mary for a student-led campus tour and talk to our professors in majors that interest you.
- Take the PLAN test. This test can help you explore career options and start planning your future. Ask your high school counselor for more information about taking this test.
- Take the PSAT/NMSQT test. This test helps determine eligibility for the National Merit Scholarship Program. You can take it in your sophomore year and again in your junior year, if you choose. Contact your guidance counselor for more information.
- Start earning microscholarships toward Mount Mary. Mount Mary has partnered with RaiseMe, so you can begin earning microscholarships toward college while you are in high school. Click here to get started.