The Mount Mary University Dietetic Internship Program prepares competent, creative, analytical dietitians with the agility to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and excel as socially minded, evidence-based practitioners in a variety of settings.
Our dietetic internship program strengthens the academic background of interns with 18 graduate credits and provides diverse experiences with a concentration in disease prevention and health promotion.
Goals & Objectives
We continuously work to improve our program. Current goals include:
- Prepare competent, entry-level dietitians.
- 90% of interns enrolled in the DI program will complete all program requirements within 14 months of beginning the program.
- 70% or more of program graduates who sought employment in dietetics are employed within 12 months of program completion.
- The pass rate for program graduates taking the registration exam for the first time will be at least 85%.
- Graduates will collectively meet or exceed the national mean test scores on the registration exam.
- 80% of employers will give program graduates a mean competence rating above "average".
- 80% of graduates will give themselves a confidence rating of "agree or strongly agree".
- 80% of graduates will give themselves a mean competence rating above "average".
- Stimulate interns to continue their professional growth through graduate education completion*, certification in specialized areas of dietetics and professional activities.
- At least 50% of graduates will continue their graduate education or seek certification in specialized areas of practice.
- At least 75% of graduates will be members of the Academy &/or other professional organizations.
- Meet interns’ individual learning needs and interests through internship placement sites and graduate coursework that promote excellence in practice.
- 80% of program graduates will indicate a "satisfactory" or better score regarding overall program satisfaction.
- 80% of program graduates will indicate a "satisfactory" or better score regarding placement sites meeting their learning needs and interests.
- 75% of program graduates will indicate a "satisfactory" or better score regarding graduate courses meeting their learning needs and interests.
Mount Mary’s dietetic internship program has been accredited continuously since 1998. A 10-year reaccreditation was granted in 2010. Program outcomes data are available on request. Key program outcomes include:
- Interns have a 100 percent 5-year pass rate and a 94 percent 5-year, first-time pass rate on the national Registration Examination for Dietitians.
- Interns’ performance typically exceeds national average scores in each exam area.
- Most interns are employed within six months of seeking employment.
- 98 percent of interns say they would recommend the dietetic internship to others.