Barbara T. Armstrong
Dean, School of Arts and Design
Dean, School of Business
- BA- Montclair State University, Art
- M.ARCH- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Architecture
“At a time when creative thinking and innovation are propelling our economy, I am excited to lead two schools that have a rich influence on developing skills needed in our world. Through the Arts and Design disciplines we teach students to think multi-dimensionally, to problem solve from every perspective and to leverage the visual mediums to influence and shape thoughts and actions. We utilize the structure of our Business curriculum to engage students on the impacts of decision-making on people and communities as well as the bottom line. Both disciplines stimulate me to be creative and to facilitate personal and professional growth for our faculty and our students.
My experiences in working for 30+ years in the creative industries of architecture and design and my personal engagement in artistic expression provide me with a strong foundation to facilitate dialogue between my two schools and within each of them. I encourage collaboration and exploration while also trying to manage realistic expectations and vital resources. I feel honored to carry on the mission of this University in educating individuals to transform the world."
- “Experiencing Women’s History through Fashion”, Presentation with Sarah Eichhorn to AAUW/American Association of University Women- West Suburban Milwaukee, 2017
- “Experiences in Board Development and Non-Profit Leadership”, Lecture at Alverno College, Community Leadership Development Major, Milwaukee, WI, 2013
- “Environmental Storytelling – Leveraging the Workplace to Tell Your Story”, Presented with Tony LaPorte at the Creative Alliance’s Creative Milwaukee at Work Conference, Milwaukee, WI, 2012
- “Building Pride through Storytelling in the Workplace”, Presented with Kelly Gaglione at Great Place to Work ® (GPTW) Institute Annual International Conference, Atlanta, GA , 2012
- “Design as a Business Imperative” Forbes.com Leadership Channel- Twenty three articles, Contributing Writer July 2011 to August 2013
- “Four Ways to Brush Up Your Problem Solving Skills” July 2014 Cambridge University Press in ELT Textbook, Passages Level One Student Workbook and Teachers Edition, Third Edition
- “Design a Workplace that Reinforces Your Culture” August 2012 Smart Brief on Leadership
- “Finding a New Talent Strategy Underfoot” October 17, 2011 Human Resources Executive Online.com