Kristen Carioti, Ph.D.
Kristen Carioti, Ph. D.
Professor and Chairperson, Business Administration
MBA Program Director
Director, MBA Program
Phone : (414) 930-3419
Office: Fidelis Hall 332
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- M.S., Applied Economics, Marquette University
- B.B.A., Finance and Economics, University of Wisconsin – Whitewater
Teaching interests: Economics, statistics, quantitative analysis, and career preparation including interpersonal and negotiation skills
Research interests: Applied micro-economic topics including self-employment, education, and retirement
- “Student loan debt: A problem-based learning activity for introductory economics students”, Journal of Economic Education, 2020, vol. 51 (2), pp. 130-142.
- “Educational Mismatch and the Earnings Distribution”, Southern Economic Journal, 2018, vol. 85 (2), pp. 441-456 (with Keith A. Bender).
- "Millennials and the gender wage gap in the U.S.: A cross-cohort comparison of young workers born in the 1960s and the 1980s", Atlantic Economic Journal, 2017, vol. 45 (3), pp. 333-350.
- "Self-employment and the paradox of the contented female worker", Small Business Economics, 2016, vol. 46 (4) (with Keith A. Bender).
- “Job satisfaction and the educated entrepreneur”, Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship, 2014, vol. 27, pp. 353-368.
- "Female self-employment in the United States: An update to 2012", Monthly Labor Review: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2014.
- "An active-learning exercise on learning negotiation as a way to mitigate the gender wage gap for introductory microeconomics", International Review of Economics Education, 2014, vol. 15, pp. 32-42.
- "Reconciling gender differences in the returns to education in self-employment: Does occupation matter?", The Journal of Socio-Economics, 2013, vol. 44, pp. 112-119.
- "Educational mismatch and self-employment", Economics of Education Review, 2013, vol. 34, pp. 85-95 (with Keith A. Bender).
- Western Economics Association Conference, San Francisco, 2019
- Midwest Economics Association Conference, Chicago. 2018
- Scottish Economic Society Conference, Perth, Scotland, 2017
- Midwest Economics Association Annual Conference, Chicago, 2016
- International Atlantic Economic Society Annual Conference, Milan, Italy, 2015
- Western Economics Association
- Midwest Economics Association
- Mount Mary University PED Talk, 2019
- Milwaukee Business Journal 40 Under 40 Award, 2015
- University of Milwaukee Graduate of the Last Decade (GOLD) Award, 2015