Marion E. Toscano, Ph.D., LCPC (MD), NCC
Assistant Professor, Professional Counseling Program
Phone: (414) 930-3420
Office: Kostka Hall, Room 338
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision (CACREP Accredited), Loyola University Maryland
- M.S., Pastoral Counseling (CACREP Accredited), Loyola University Maryland
- B.F.A., Theatre – Emphasis in Technical Theatre and Stage Management, Florida International University
- Identity, LGBTGEQIAP+, Multicultural topics, Self-Acceptance, Historical Traumas, Spirituality, Sub-cultures, Teams and Teamwork.
- Toscano, M. E., (2022, October). Self-Acceptance: It’s not all on me. Presented at the Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities (SAIGE) Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Toscano, M. E., & Scheidegger, T. (2022, October). What about us? When the counselors and counselors in training are the recipients of microaggressions. Presented at the Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities (SAIGE) Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Toscano, M. E. (2020, May). Religion and Spirituality within the LGBTQ+ communities [Video webinar]. Presented for the Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities (SAIGE) webinar series.
- Toscano, M. E., & Haas, J. (2019, October). Health privilege and the invisible elephants of chronic illness and pain. Presented at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Biannual Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Haas, J., Toscano, M. E., & Schuermann, H. (2019, September). Historical & Community Trauma in Ferguson, MO: Applying Research to Trauma Treatment. Presented at the Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling (AARC) Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Toscano, M. E., Haas, J., & Schuermann, H. (2019, June). Incorporating the multicultural social justice counseling competencies into research: A discussion about the methods of a phenomenological study. Presented at the Association of
- Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD) Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Summit, Orlando, FL.
- Schuermann, H., Haas, J., & Toscano, M. E. (2019, May). Post police shooting trauma: Breaking down intersecting traumas following the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO. Presented at the British Association for Counseling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Research Conference, Belfast, Ireland.
- Toscano, M.E., Piedmont, R. L., O’Grady, K. A., Fox, J., & Kocet, M. M. (2018, September). A new measure of self-acceptance of sexual and gender identity. Presented at the Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Issues in Counseling (ALGBTIC) Bi-Annual Conference, Portland, OR
- Haas, J., Toscano, M. E., & Stickney, K. (2018, September). Exploring millennial activism and racial equity interventions. Presented at the International Association for Counseling Annual Conference, Pomezia, Rome, Italy.
- Toscano, M. E. (2022). Reconceptualization and validation of the measure of self-acceptance within the LGBTQ+ communities. Journal of LGBTQ Issues in Counseling, 16(3), 285-299, DOI: 10.1080/26924951.2022.2057389
- Haas, J., O’Grady, K. A., Fox, J. D., Schuermann, H., Toscano, M. E., & Taylor, C-S. (2022). Responses to the 2014 police shooting of Michael Brown: Cosmology episodes and enacted environments. Religions, 13(2), 133. https://doi.org/10.3390/rel13020133
- Piedmont, R. L., Fox, J, & Toscano, M. E. (2020). Spiritual crisis as a unique causal predictor of emotional and characterological impairment in atheists and agnostics: Numinous motivations as universal psychological qualities. Religions, 11(11), 551. https://doi.org/10.3390/rel11110551
- Toscano, M. E. (2017). Intersectionality of religion/spirituality and sexual and gender identity. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 9, 399-400. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/rel0000151
- Toscano, M. E., & Maynard, E. (2014). Understanding the link: ‘Homosexuality,’ gender identity, and the DSM. Journal of LGBT Issues in Counseling, 8 (3), 248-263. doi:10.1080/15538605.2014.897296
- Toscano, M. E. (2017). Piedmont, Ralph. In Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion. D.A. Leeming (Ed.). Berlin, Germany: Springer Berlin Heidelberg. https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-642-27771-9_9248-1
- Piedmont, R. L., & Toscano, M. E. (2017). Self-report inventories. In The SAGE Encyclopedia of Abnormal and Clinical Psychology. A. E. Wenzel (Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications Inc. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781483365817.n1218
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities (SAIGE)
- Association for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling (ASERVIC)
- Association Counseling Education and Supervision (ACES)
- North Central Association Counseling Education and Supervision (NCACES) 2019 - present