Terri L. Jashinsky, Ph.D.Associate Professor
Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling Program Director
Certified Rehabilitation Counselor
Phone: (414) 930-3239
Office: Kostka Hall 340
Doctor of Philosophy, Educational Psychology, Counseling Psychology specialization (APA accredited)
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Minor: Clinical Psychology
Master of Science, Rehabilitation Psychology and Counseling (CORE accredited)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Bachelor of Science, Kinesiology, Physiology emphasis
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Minors: Psychology and Coaching
- Excellence in Teaching Award recipient (2016-2017)
- NCACES 2016 Innovative Counselor Education Program of the Year
- Awarded to Mount Mary University Counseling Department
- Nominated and selected to represent Mount Mary University as a Faculty Fellow at 2016 Collegium
- Excellence in Teaching Award nominee (2013-2014; 2014-2015; 2015-2016)
- Selected to present PedTalk on innovative teaching practice (October 2014)
- Career development
- Counseling students' self-efficacy and skill development
- Attitudes towards individuals with addictions
- Jashinsky, T. L. (2019). Older adults and substance use disorders. Presentation at the Association for Adult Development and Aging National Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Jashinsky, T. L. (2019). Motivational interviewing. Presentation at the Health Resources and Services Administration Regional Opioid Health Workforce Forum, Chicago, IL.
- Smothers, M. K., & Jashinsky, T. L. (2019). Healing from trauma and addiction: The role of values and meaning-making in recovery. Presentation at the Wisconsin Art Therapy Association Spring Symposium, Milwaukee, WI.
- Jashinsky, T. L., & Martens, M. (2018). Assessing and addressing counseling students’ attitudes towards people with alcohol concerns. Presentation at the Wisconsin Counseling Association 2018 Annual Summit, Madison, WI.
- Smothers, M.K., & Jashinsky, T.L. (2018). Understanding the parallel dynamics in treating co-occurring trauma and addiction. Presentation at the Wisconsin Art Therapy Association Spring Art Therapy Symposium, Milwaukee, WI.
- Jashinsky, T.L. (2017). Assessing counseling students' attitudes toward people with alcohol use concerns. Presentation at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision National Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Jashinsky, T.L. (2017). Utilizing a strengths-based, holistic approach in substance use treatment: Practical strategies for helpers. Presentation at Marquette University's Department of Counselor Education & Counseling Psychology Colloquium Series, Milwaukee, WI.
- Meier, E. & Jashinsky, T.L. (2016). Converging challenges in counseling: When medical concerns and substance use issues collide. Presentation at the Wisconsin Counseling Association 2016 Annual Summit, Milwaukee, WI.
- Smothers, M.K., Ong, L., Sepulveda, V., & Jashinsky, T.L. (2016). Assessment of counselor trainees' skills and self-efficacy. Presentation at the North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Annual Conference, Bloomington, MN.
- Ong, L. & Jashinsky, T.L. (2016). Understanding and applying ethical principles of rehabilitation assessment. Invited presentation at the International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals - Wisconsin Chapter Spring Seminar, Milwaukee, WI.
- Jashinsky, T.L. (2016). Substance use and abuse treatment strategies. Presentation at the Aurora Health Care 2016 Behavioral Health Workshop Series, Milwaukee, WI.
Recent Publications (Peer Reviewed)
- Jashinsky, T. L., & King, C. L. (2019, February). Fostering career counseling self-efficacy in counselor education. Career Convergence. Online publication of the National Career Development Association.
- Jashinsky, T.L. & Scherer, J. (2016). A pilot measure of prejudice toward people with alcoholism. The Wisconsin Counseling Journal, 29, 16-34.
- Jashinsky, T.L. (2016). Gambling, compulsive. In J. Carlson & S. Dermer (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Marriage, Family, and Couples Counseling. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Jashinsky, T.L. (2016). Compulsive sexual behavior. In J Carlson & S. Dermer (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Marriage, Family, and Couples Counseling. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- American Rehabilitation Counselors Association
- The Wisconsin Counseling Journal, editorial board member
- Legal Options for Trafficked and Underserved Survivors (LOTUS) Clinic, advisory council member
- Wisconsin Counseling Association, professional member