Carrie Smith King
Associate Professor, Counseling
Licensed Professional Counselor
National Certified Counselor
Licensed School Counselor
Phone: (414) 930-3262
Office: Kostka Hall, room 337
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, APA Accredited, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Department of Educational Psychology
- Master of Science, Educational Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Bachelor of Science, Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Trauma Sensitive School Project was honored as Community Project of the Year at the Beyond the Blues Charles E. Kubly Foundation event on September 19, 2015
- Received the Althea Brach Post-Secondary School Counselor of the Year Award from WSCA, February 18, 2015, recognizing outstanding service to the school counseling profession in Wisconsin
- Financial Award of $500 for creating educational pieces specific for the LGBT population to be used within the American Lung Associations N-O-T (Not On Tobacco) Program, June 2007
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services-Health Resources and Services Administration (July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2020) in the amount of $2.6 million for Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students - Counseling's Succeed Scholars Program.
- Charles E. Kubly Foundation (November 2, 2015 to November 2, 2016) in the amount of $12,755 for Trauma Sensitive School Project.
- Brady Foundation (August 2014 to August 2017) in the amount of $42,750 for Creating Authentic Leadership.
- Charles E. Kubly Foundation (Nov. 1 2014 to November 1, 2015) in the amount of $8,300 for Trauma Sensitive School Project.
- Career Development
- Cultural Consciousness and Cultural Responsive Counseling and Teaching
- Trauma Sensitive School Practices
Scheidegger, T., King, C., Smothers, M., Ong, L., Sepulveda, V., & Jashinski, T. (October 5, 2017). Assessment of Counselor Trainee Skills & Self-Efficacy, Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
Denny, L., King, C. & Scheidegger,T. (June 14, 2017). The Neurobiology of Transgenerational Trauma Transmission: Decolonizing research, the mind, and our schools for First Nations people of North America, Pathways to Resilience Conference, Cape Town, South Africa.
King, C., Randazzo, T., Melton, W., & Paris, M. (April 19, 2017). The Responsive School-Classroom Approach: Implementation & Results, National Catholic Education Association Conference in St. Louis, MO.
King, C. & Ong, L. (November 11, 2016). Integrative Ethics and Culture in Mental Health Care, Behavioral Health Workshop Series, Aurora Hospital, Milwaukee, WI
King, C. & Smothers, M. (October 14, 2016). Teacher-Student Attachment Styles & Influence on Academic Success and Emotional Development, at Catholic Educators Convention, Milwaukee, WI.
King, C. & Sepulveda, V. (April 29, 2016). Implementing Trauma-Informed Care in School Settings using Neuroscience & Non-Traditional Modalities, at the Counseling Department's 5th Annual Spring Intensive Counseling Workshop, Milwaukee, WI.
King, C. & Scheidegger, T. (April 3, 2016). Trauma Sensitive School Pilot within an Urban School System, at the annual meeting of the American Counseling Association & Canadian and Psychotherapy
Association, Montreal, Quebec.
Maney, J.S., King, C., & Kiely, T. J. (2017). Who Do You Say You Are: Relationships and Faith in Catholic Schools. Journal of Catholic Education, 21 (1).
King, C. & Gratz, K. (January/February 2011). “Beyond Service Learning- School and Community Partnerships as a Career & Workforce Development Strategy.” American School Counselor, v48, n3.
Smith, C., Sapp, M., Farrell, W. C. , & Johnson, J.H. (1997). Psychoeducational
correlates of achievement for private school seniors. High School Journal, 81, 161-116.
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- Wisconsin School Counselor Association (WSCA)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- Wisconsin Counseling Association (WCA)
- North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NCACES)