Mount Mary University’s international studies program is designed to help you develop skills required to compete in an increasingly global society. The curriculum combines Spanish language courses and a study abroad experience with courses in business and the social sciences.


Bachelor’s Degree Options & Requirements

As an international studies major, you can create your own career path by studying one of two areas of concentration:

  • Spanish: For this concentration, a minimum of 75 credits is required, including a study abroad experience. If you enter college in this major with four years of high school Spanish or four semesters of language at another college or university, you will not need to take SPA 101, 102, 203 and 204, thus reducing the required credits to 63 for this major.
  • English as a Second Language: This concentration is available for international students studying at Mount Mary only. This concentration requires a minimum of 12 credits.

In addition to Spanish, you also could take language courses in German, French, Italian or American Sign Language.

To receive a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies degree, you also must complete the university’s core curriculum requirements.  Complete degree requirements and a listing of courses are available in the Undergraduate Bulletin (PDF).


Experience the World by Studying Abroad

All international studies majors are required to participate in an immersion experience of at least four weeks in a culture where another language is spoken.

Each year, study abroad programs are offered in about three different countries. Study abroad experiences occur for a semester, in the summer or during a school break.

Previous study locations include:

  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • France
  • Guatemala
  • Italy
  • Nicaragua
  • Peru
  • Spain


International Studies Minor Requirements

An international studies minor is an excellent way for students in any major to add a global perspective to your degree and practice your chosen career abroad or with a U.S. agency. An international studies minor requires a minimum of 26 credits. For more details on requirements and courses for this minor, see the Undergraduate Bulletin (PDF).


Undergraduate & Post-baccalaureate Spanish Certificate Requirements

If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you can complete one of three Spanish certificates: bilingual education, Spanish for Professionals or Spanish for Native/Heritage Speakers.

A pre-baccalaureate certificate in Spanish also is available for undergraduate or non-degree seeking students. Learn more about Spanish pre- and post-baccalaureate certificate requirements.