chapt1_graphic1_2.png

1. The work is not super hard, it's just all homework.
When I was still in high school, I was horrified by the idea of college. I thought the work would be so hard that I couldn't do it. As it turns out, the difficulty level is caused by the fact that a lot of work outside of discussion is done on your own time. It's not rocket science to do. College is about managing your time. If you need help, the people in MMU's student success center would be happy to assist you.

2. Yes, you can go to sleep at night and still get work done.
I thought that I would have to pull all-nighters all the time every week to be able to survive in college. If you do enough homework during the day, you can still get some sleep. You might not get 8 or 9 hours every night, but you don't have to stay awake 24/7. Mount Mary staff told me a good way to get enough sleep is to schedule classes either predominantly earlier or later. That way I would have a bigger window of free time for homework or whatever else I need to do so it gets done and I can go to sleep. It seems to have worked well so far.

3. I can't believe how close I am to my college friends.
Your high school friends will always be there for you, but look forward to making new friendships in college that will last a lifetime. After only two years at Mount Mary, I feel so close to my college circle. Mount Mary's social environment is so inviting.

4. You don't have to have a major right away.
Your degree is hopefully going to last you your working career, so it is important to put some thought into your major. The first year of college can be an exploring period – Mount Mary even offers a new Compass Year program for undecided students. Take some classes and ask some questions. My first semester, I took Mount Mary's Major and Career Exploration class. It helped me figure out what I wanted to make into a career. It's not bad if you haven't had a lifelong passion from childhood; it just means you need to try things. Finding something you love is important.

5. Managing your own schedule can leave you free time.
College doesn't leave a lot of time for hobbies. Students have to go to class, do the homework, and many people probably have a job, too. Fortunately, you have the power to choose your schedule. If you don't want morning classes, you can avoid as many as possible, though one might be required. If you don't want class in the evenings, don't schedule it. When you have control over your time, you can get your school and work responsibilities accomplished and still have time to read or watch a show.