A scholarship to exceptional leaders in Milwaukee
The Grace Scholars Program is a unique four-year scholarship opportunity for first-year, full-time undergraduate students from the Milwaukee and West Milwaukee area. Each year, 30 young women who demonstrate leadership skills and meet the financial criteria are selected for the program.
The program provides Scholars with academic, professional, and financial support through a group-learning model that encourages community building and leadership development. In conjunction with federal and state financial aid, the Grace Scholars Program covers 85% of tuition annually for four years.
Grace Scholars attend a six-week Summer Bridge Program before their first semester at Mount Mary. This program helps students develop skills for success in and outside of the classroom, as well as aiding in relationship building and their transition to college. Students can earn up to four college credits during the Summer Bridge Program.
Thank you to our donors: Burke Foundation, We Energies Foundation, Ralph Evinrude Foundation, and U.S. Bank Foundation.
Benefits of Being a Grace Scholar
- The Grace Scholars award covers 85 percent of tuition annually for four years.
- Grace Scholar students receive one-on-one advising and peer mentoring
- Grace Scholar students receive academic, social, mental health, and financial support through various campus resources
- Grace Scholars attend a six-week Summer Bridge Program before their first semester at Mount Mary. This program helps students develop skills for success in and outside of the classroom, as well as aiding in relationship building and their transition to college. Students can earn up to 4 college credits during the Summer Bridge Program.
- Grace Scholar students enroll in a special course with fellow Grace Scholars earning one additional credit per year.
- Grace Scholars receive monthly professional developmental opportunities to assist with post-graduate preparation.
- As a Grace Scholar students belong in a sisterhood that supports relationship-building and a sense of community
**Follow @MMUGraceScholars on Instagram for all the latest information including events and weekly highlights
In support of our continued partnerships with community-based organizations in Milwaukee, the following organizations will receive one guaranteed spot within the Grace Scholars Program (student must be enrolled in pre-college program and/or high school, meet Grace Scholars selection requirements, and be accepted to the University to qualify). Final decisions are determined by the Grace Scholars Program Director. Organizations include:
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
- Carmen High School
- College Possible
- Cristo Rey High School
- Divine Savior Holy Angels High School
- Milwaukee Academy of Science
- Notre Dame School of Milwaukee Graduate Support Program
- PEARLS for Teen Girls
- St. Joan Antida High School
Grace Scholars Program Eligibility
(Prior to submitting your Grace scholarship application, please contact your Admission Counselor to confirm your initial eligibility.) To be eligible for the Grace Scholars Program, students must:
- be accepted as a full-time student to Mount Mary University
- be a resident of the City of Milwaukee or West Milwaukee and currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of high school
- demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- demonstrate leadership experience through curricular and extracurricular activities
- be under 21 years old
- be a first-time college student
- be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- not be enrolled in Mount Mary's Nursing 1-2-1 program
How to Apply for the Grace Scholars Program
1. Apply to Mount Mary and be accepted as a full-time student for the 2020-2021 academic year.
2. Complete the online Grace Scholars Application
3. Submit a brief statement (approximately one page) addressing the following two questions:
- What experiences have made the greatest impact in your life? Include examples such as work history, special projects, clubs, church related and/or volunteer activities.
- How have you significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, contributed to group efforts or in some other way demonstrated that you are a leader? Give specific examples of your leadership experience.
4. Complete your 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Each applicant must file the 2020-2021 FAFSA to be considered for the program. Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA beginning October 1, 2019. Mount Mary University's priority deadline is December 1, 2019.
5. Complete an on-campus interview. As part of the application process, select finalists will be invited to an on-campus interview for one of the 30 Grace Scholarships. Applicants to the Grace Scholars Program must be accepted to Mount Mary University at least two weeks prior to the interview date.
Interested in Applying, Still Have Questions?
For more information about the Grace Scholars Program, please contact:
THE GRACE SCHOLARS PROGRAM HAS GIVEN ME A NEW MEANING TO FAMILY. FOR STRANGERS TO COME TOGETHER OVER THE SUMMER AND SUPPORT EACH OTHER CONSISTENTLY THROUGHOUT OUR COLLEGE CAREER IS VERY SATISFYING. THE GRACE SCHOLARS PROGRAM ALWAYS MAKES SURE I FEEL LIKE I AM NOT ALONE.