Fashion Academy is a weeklong experience for students entering grades 8-12 who have a love of fashion and want to learn more about the industry.
Our summer 2021 Fashion Academy has reached its capacity, but if you would like to receive information about next year's academy and join our communication list, please fill out our request information form
Experience fashion through hands-on activities with Mount Mary faculty and meet alumni industry professionals. Learn insider know-how and discover the skills and digital tools needed for a career in fashion design and promotion.
Mount Mary Fashion Academy
June 21-25, 2021 (Monday-Friday)
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily
Male, female and non-binary students are welcome to participate in the Fashion Academy.
Scholarships are available (up to $200), and will be awarded to students who are passionate about fashion design and promotion. We ask for a personal essay. Click here to apply for a Fashion Academy scholarship.
- If you would like to pay via credit card, click here to register. Please note: Eventbrite requires a $13.80 processing fee.
- If you plan to mail in a check for your payment, click here to register.
ATTN: Fashion Academy
2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway
Milwaukee, WI 53222
Fashion Academy Classes
Morning Class Options – Students will choose one class for each time slot
9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- MAKE A STATEMENT – Fashion Publishing & Blogging: Explore and create your own personal brand that will be used to develop, write and publish on the Fashion Academy Blog. You will publish your own trend forecasts, styling and insights into fashion. (Limit: 8 students) FULL for 2021
- TOP IT OFF – Sewing & Surface Design: Learn to sew with knits as you design and construct your own personal fit top. Then explore surface design techniques such as beading, smocking, stamping, and painting to bring your design vision to life. (Limit: 12 students) FULL for 2021
- WHAT IS HOT, WHAT IS NOT – Trend Forecasting: Ever wonder why everybody is wearing or buying the same thing? It all about following what is happening in music, TV, and the movies...or the art of Trend Forecasting. Learn the "hows and whys" while creating your own forecast for the next big thing. (Limit: 8 students) FULL for 2021
10:30 a.m. - Noon
- PICTURE THIS – Fashion Photography & Styling: Learn from an industry fashion photographer the do’s and don’ts of studio and outdoor photoshoots (Adobe Photoshop software touch-ups will also be explored). (Limit: 8 students) FULL for 2021
- MAKE IT POP – Fashion Accessories: Learn how to create & sew your own accessories that complement your original designs. Explore different accessories like bags and jewelry, to create one-of-a-kind pieces.
- (Limit: 10 students) FULL for 2021
- PULL IT TOGETHER – The Art of Draping: Learn the design technique of draping. Students will work on 1/2 scale forms to design and pattern their own fashion-forward designs. (Limit: 12 students) FULL for 2021
Afternoon Class Options – Students will choose one class for the 2-4 p.m. time slot
1-2 p.m. (This class will be taken by all Fashion Academy participants.)
- EXPLORE FASHION – Careers Workshop: Explore careers in fashion design, visual display, patternmaking, trend forecasting, technical design, and event planning through presentations related to each field. Be ready to be creative and discover the fun careers in Design and Fashion Promotion and Merchandising. (Limit: 30 students) FULL for 2021
- READY FOR RETAIL? – Store Design with CAD: See how your favorite stores are created by taking this crash course in CAD store design. Using a specialized software you can make your own dream shopping experience.*CAD is computer aided design (Limit: 8 students) FULL for 2021
- LET’S GO DIGITAL – Intro to Fashion Design with CAD: Be on the cutting edge of fashion by learning how to design your own garment using CAD software. This crash course will show you how the experts in fashion digitally create the latest trends.*CAD is computer aided design (Limit: 8 students) FULL for 2021
- SEW IT UP – Advanced Sewing Design: Explore the world of upcycling to turn old garments into exciting new fashions! Students will learn a variety of sewing techniques as they cut, sew, disassemble and reassemble to make a one-of-a-kind finished garment. (Limit: 12 students) FULL for 2021
*Please note we reserve the right to cancel classes due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances. In the case of cancellation due to low enrollment, we will notify students by e-mail and/or by phone one week prior to classes beginning.
Because of the ongoing public health restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Fashion Academy will be limited to 30 participants. Campus spaces have been reorganized to accommodate 6-ft. social distancing protocols, and thorough sanitation measures have been put in place. For more on Mount Mary's response to COVID-19, click here.
Contact Heather Dillon, Fashion Department Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com or (414) 930-3444.