Introducing Mount Mary’s NEW fashion competition!
Here’s your chance to express yourself!
Create an upcycled garment or outfit that showcases your unique vision.
Using mostly upcycled materials, you’ll stitch, staple, tape or glue your way to a one-of-a-kind garment.
Throughout the creative process and construction of your garment, Mount Mary Fashion faculty will offer Zoom sessions to answer your questions so nothing holds you back from creating a look that’s yours alone!
Uniquely Yours FASHION CONTEST:
- WHAT: Create an upcycled garment or outfit that is Uniquely YOURS!
- WHO: Open to students grades 8-12; may work individually or in teams of two.
- WHEN: Zoom kickoff meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10. Final garments due midnight Sunday, Feb. 12, 2023.
- HOW: At least 80% of materials used must be recycled, secondhand or gently used. Contestants may request a free bundle of fabric and sewing patterns from Mount Mary, if desired. Total budget must not exceed $40.
- ETC: Winning garments will be featured in the 2023 Mount Mary University student fashion show, will receive tickets to the show and full or partial scholarships to the 2023 Summer Fashion Academy at Mount Mary.
What are the project details?
- Create an outfit or a garment designed by you or a team of two. The outfit can include one piece, like a dress or jumpsuit, or more pieces to create the total look
- The outfit or garment can be constructed in any suitable way that is secure and can be worn by a model on a runway. It can be sewn, glued, stapled, taped, woven, knitted, etc.
- The garment or outfit can be created on or with an existing piece of clothing or can be sewn or constructed from scratch using a pattern
- At least 80% of materials used must be recycled, second hand or gently used. Suggested materials: fabrics, current garments in your closet, aluminum cans, tissue paper or paper of all kinds, old patterns, grocery bags, coffee filters, newspaper, magazine pages, egg cartons, garbage bags, etc.
- Accessories are strongly encouraged and can be either found objects or made by the participant
- The finished look should be styled and accessorize by the participant to show a complete look: This includes the hair and makeup on the model that is wearing the garment in the final video submission.
How do I register?
How can I receive supplies from Mount Mary?
If you choose to use Mount Mary provided supplies, kits will be available for pick-up at the University. Please arrange a time for pick-up by contacting email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fabric & Supply Run this Saturday, Dec. 3 at 2 p.m. on the Mount Mary campus in the lower level of Fidelis Hall. Please enter the campus from Menomonee River Parkway and go almost all around the "U" drive until you get to the last building on your right, that is Fidelis Hall. Please enter through the doors closest to the covered arched walkway and take the stairway immediately to your left.
How do I participate in the Q&A sessions?
Once you are registered you will receive an email with the zoom link for the sessions. We are also offering Mount Mary fashion student mentors, if you would like, that you can ask advice, run ideas past or just have for overall encouragement.
How do I submit my garment?
The designs must be submitted digitally as a short video, with 360-degree view of the garment and close details, shown either on a dress form or a live model. Also, the video must include an explanation of your inspiration and construction process. Videos must be created with an app such as You Tube, Instagram or Vimeo. You will need to submit the URL of your video on this form by midnight February 12, 2023 using this link https://forms-public.mtmary.edu/Forms/FashionContest
Thank you and good luck!
How is the contest judged?
Submissions will be reviewed by a panel that includes current students and faculty from the Fashion Design and Merchandise Management departments at Mount Mary University. Submissions will be judged on the following criteria: inspiration, creativity, construction, use of found or upcycled materials (remember at least 80% must be found or recycled), styling of the complete look, and overall quality of the garment.
What are the awards?
Winning garments will be featured in the 2023 Mount Mary University student fashion show, will receive tickets to the show and full or partial scholarships to the 2023 Summer Fashion Academy at Mount Mary.
Our admissions team is here to help
The best way to get started is to get in touch. We’ll answer your questions, help you explore programs and walk you through the admissions and financial aid process.