Challenging gender roles at work and home
In a presentation designed to be thought-provoking and funny, social activist Jessica Shortall will examine gender norms within our culture and how they are perpetuated at home and in the workplace.
Her speech on March 21, "What We Tell Ourselves About Gender And Work," is part of a leadership event bringing together and engaging Milwaukee’s professional community around topics and ideas that underscore the mission of Mount Mary University. Registration is now open.
Shortall is a social activist, data enthusiast, storyteller, and mom who challenges and advocates for a change in societal expectations revolving around gender roles. She is the author of Work. Pump. Repeat. Among her other achievements, she also co-founded and franchised a food rescue and hunger relief non-profit, The Campus Kitchens Project, and was the first Director of Giving at TOMS Shoes. Jessica is currently the Managing Director of Texas Competes, a coalition working to change the political playing field on LGBTQ issues.
For the first time, there will be a panel discussion after Jessica’s presentation with Jessica and some of Milwaukee’s top leaders.
- Mayor Kathy Ehley – As the 16th Mayor of Wauwatosa, Mayor Kathy is dedicated to building strong communities and improving the quality of life in Wauwatosa and southeastern Wisconsin.
- Mary Dowell – Currently, Mary is the principal of MJ Dowell & Associates, a management-consulting group where she focuses on human resources, coaching, workshops, philanthropy, and public speaking
- Vanessa Vasquez - As a Milwaukee native, Vanessa knows the challenges that Milwaukee faces. Vanessa dedicates her time to the advancement of Hispanic students in higher education through her work at Carmen Schools of Science & Technology under College & Career Readiness.
- Denise Thomas – Through her work, The Effective Communication Coach, LLC, Denise focuses on helping emerging young students and ambitious professionals become recognized entrepreneurs and leaders by mastering the art of effective communication and networking.
- Carlo J. Emanuele – As the Director of SFID & Saftey Solutions for North America at Brady Corporation, Carolo is familiar with the historically male-dominated industrial manufacturing space. He has a passion for leading and mentoring professionals, developing a team that represents various experience levels, perspectives and backgrounds, and positioning Brady for sustained growth and market leadership.
Voices of Leadership fosters conversations with women leaders who have broken ground in entrepreneurship, innovation, social change, and leadership. This speaker series fosters conversations with leaders from all walks of life to inspire community partners and students.
Past presenters include Julia Landauer, a NASCAR champion; Malala Fund co-founder Shiza Shahid; fashion model, designer, activist, social innovator, and entrepreneur Lauren Bush Lauren; Betsy Myers, White House advisor to former President Barack Obama; media executive and former SoulPancake CEO Shabnam Mogharabi.