Master of Science in Art Therapy Admission Information
The art therapy graduate program welcomes both men and women. To be eligible for the Mount Mary University Master of Science in Art Therapy program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in art, art education, psychology or a related field
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Have completed the prerequisite coursework in art and psychology (see details below)
- Submit all required application materials (see details below)
International students: See additional application requirements and procedures or contact your graduate admission counselor for questions.
The art therapy profession is founded on art and psychology. All applicants must have sufficient undergraduate preparation in these areas, per guidelines from the American Art Therapy Association. You must complete prerequisite coursework before full admission to the program is granted. The following is the prerequisite coursework:
- Studio Arts (minimum of 18 credits): This includes courses such as design, drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, 3-D design or other electives in studio art.
- Psychology (minimum of 12 credits): This includes courses in general psychology, developmental psychology, abnormal psychology, personality (recommended) or electives in psychology.
- October 31, for early admission
- February 28, for open admission
How to Apply
The Master of Science in Art Therapy program accepts 30 highly qualified students
each year. There is an early admission deadline and open admission deadline: 15 students
will be accepted for early admission and 15 will be accepted for open admission. Early
admission students will be notified of their status in December. Students who applied
for early admission and did not get in automatically will be included in the open
admission process. Open admission students will be notified of their status in early
- Complete and submit the online Graduate Student Application.
- Submit the nonrefundable application fee ($45 for domestic students; $100 for international students). You can submit the payment online by credit card or e-check through CashNet on the MyMountMary portal. Note: The application fee is waived for Mount Mary alumnae. If you’re an alumna, contact your graduate admission counselor to obtain the waiver code prior to submitting your application.
- Submit your official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. You will need to contact each institution (typically the registrar’s office) to have your transcript sent, with an embossed seal, directly to: Mount Mary University, Graduate Admission Office, 2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway, Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597. If you are in the process of completing a bachelor’s degree, you will need to send your official transcript once the degree is completed to verify receipt of the degree. If you previously attended Mount Mary, you do not need to request Mount Mary transcripts, but you should provide transcripts from other schools, if applicable. Use Mount Mary’s Transcript Request Form (PDF) to help speed up this process.
- Submit three letters of recommendation. The recommendations should be a reference person who can speak to your potential for graduate study. Use our Letter of Recommendation for Graduate Study Form (PDF).
- Submit an artwork portfolio. The portfolio should include 15-20 images on CD in at least three studio areas confirming your range of media competence and creativity and should include work in two-dimensions, three-dimensions and color.
- Write and submit a career goals statement. The two- to five-page statement should specify your professional skills, your reason for pursuing professional education in art therapy and past experiences contributing to your decision to pursue this course of study. Please include your name on the statement. Using APA format for publication is advised.
- Provide a sample of written academic work. Submit at least one academic paper for review. A paper in art therapy or a related art such as psychology or education is acceptable.
Submit all application materials via postal mail or email to:
- Graduate Admission Office, Mount Mary University, 2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway, Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597
Once you submit all application materials, the Master of Science in Art Therapy program
director may contact you to schedule an interview. Final admission decisions will
be made after all application materials are received and the interview (if needed)
is completed. Learn how to check on your application status.
Contact your graduate admission counselor with application questions.