Exercise Science Inspires Others to Better Their Health and Performance
"Our program gives students the opportunity to begin working in their field by the end of their sophomore year. With three certifications built into the curriculum, students can earn income, and gain real-world experience as either a certified personal trainer or a group fitness instructor before graduation."
– Cindy Kidd, Faculty
Wellness and fitness are priorities for you. Exercise Science practitioners help people, and they change lives along the way.
Through Mount Mary’s Exercise Science Program, You Can:
Start working professionally
Begin working in this field while you complete your degree. Earn three certificates through your studies to work as a group exercise instructor, personal trainer and/or exercise physiologist.
Build your career your way
Careers in Exercise Science have great income potential and are in demand in clinics, hospitals, fitness clubs and wellness centers. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 23 percent job growth through 2026.
Gain hands-on experience
Small class sizes provide dynamic learning opportunities. Classes will take place in the newly renovated Caroline Hall Gym and Fitness Center and a state-of-the-art biometrics lab designed specifically for exercise science. Sharing facilities with Mount Mary’s Blue Angel Athletes for training, body mechanics and group exercise classes provides synergies.
Career Paths in Exercise Science Include:
- Exercise physiologist
- Health coach / wellness coach
- Cardiac rehab specialist
- Corporate wellness or health and wellness coordinator (fitness club, wellness center, gym)
- K-12 physical educator
- Fitness center management such as fitness coordinator, facilities manager, branch manager or regional manager
Pursue Your Career Goals with Exercise Science
An Exercise Science degree creates the perfect foundation for Mount Mary graduate programs such as: Master of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics, Doctorate in Occupational Therapy, Master of Science in Occupational Therapy, Kinesiology, Medical School, Physical Therapy and Physician’s Assistant.
The Mount Mary Difference
- Small class sizes (typically around 15 students) which allows for close relationships with peers and greater access to professors
- All Women-Advantage – You’ll be able to develop your ideas, identity and confidence in a uniquely empowering environment that's only possible at a women's university
- Emphasis on developing and nurturing leadership skills
- Competitive tuition rate
- Hands-on learning experiences
“Students have the advantage of learning in a supportive, all-women's environment where they will develop leadership and professional skills. This program prepares them to work in a field that truly makes a difference in the lives of others.”
– Cindy Kidd, Faculty
Topics Emphasize Wellness for All
In Mount Mary’s Exercise Science program, you’ll have hands-on learning opportunities to motivate and inspire others through the study of:
- Science and psychology
- Body mechanics and physiology
- Exercise modes and monitoring physical responses for diverse populations
- Certification in professional standards for personal training and/or group exercise
- Commitment to the ethics and motivation of exercise science practices
The program leads to the following certifications:
- National Academy of Sports Medicine: Personal Trainer Certification
- Athletics and Fitness Association of America: Group Fitness Instructor Certification
- American College of Sports Medicine: Exercise Physiologist Certification
Tuition, Cost and Affordability
Your dreams are within reach – we’re here to make sure nothing stands in the way. That’s why 100% of full-time, undergraduate Mount Mary students receive an academic scholarship or reduced tuition.
Learn more about affordability, financial aid and scholarships here.
Proud of Our Diversity
Mount Mary shares the distinction of having the highest ethnic and economic diversity in the Midwest, according to U.S. News and World Report. Many undergraduates are first-generation college students charting bold new paths for their families, making Mount Mary a leader in social mobility in the Midwest.
“I love learning more about other students’ cultures and backgrounds – it helps me realize more about myself as well. Being surrounded by diverse opinions has helped me open my mindset and build respect for everyone else.”
– Jaqui Reyes '22 Biology, Health Sciences