Mission & Goals
The Interior Architecture & Design Department, in support of the University mission, creates an environment for the development of the whole person with an emphasis on leadership, integrity, and social justice, offers a comprehensive, current, and accredited education. The program prepares students for present and future demands in the interior design profession, to solve problems with creativity, integrity, and critical thinking, and to recognize their responsibilities to the community and beyond.
The Interior Architecture & Design Department strives to educate students to understand the value of interior design within the larger context of society and not only as a process of making spaces attractive. Essential to this philosophy is establishing a foundation that design starts with and influences people, any space’s users. An integral component to this goal encouraging students to contemplate their unique qualities within the equation of design and how each will succeed in the interior design profession.
Through academic and experiential course work augmented by community outreach, professional organization involvement, and award competition participation, students build a solid base while exploring different facets of the industry.
The Interior Architecture & Design Program responds to the continual changes in technology, skill needs, specializations, and industry considerations as it impacts interior design and related fields. The program incorporates current computer technology and software that is utilized in present interior design practice, provides for adequate laboratory space and resource materials and relies on small class sizes to promote one-on-one instruction. Lastly, faculty members are the first line of resources offering quality advising and student contact in and out of the classroom.
The goals of the Interior Architecture & Design Program:
- to respond to continually changing needs within the profession
- to encourage critical thinking, creative problem solving and social sensitivity
- to introduce a wide variety of career options
- to offer leadership, school involvement and community service opportunities
- to identify and communicate individual strengths and weaknesses
- to facilitate personal and professional development
- to emphasize networking with peers, alumnae and practitioners
- to introduce sustainability, diversity and global issues