What to do if you encounter an emergency situation at Mount Mary University.
If there is an active threat to your safety:
GET OUT – If safe to do so
- Get out of the room and building quickly and quietly
- Leave belongings behind
- When in a safe location, call 911 (911 from University phone) and MMU Public Safety, 414-930-3333.
HIDE OUT – If not safe to get out
- Lock the door, windows and turn off lights
- Spread out in room and remain quiet
- Get on floor if shots are heard
- If phone is available, call 911 (911 from University phone) and MMU Public Safety, 414-930-3333.
TAKE OUT – If confronted by intruder and there are no other options
- Make a plan with others if intruder confronts you
- Spread out in room
- Act as a team to overcome intruder
- Do whatever is necessary to protect your safety
If a bomb threat is received by phone, the person receiving the bomb threat should ask the following specific questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb located?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What does the bomb look like?
- Why did you place the bomb?
Keep talking to the caller as long as possible and record the following information:
- Time of call
- Check caller ID display on phone
- Approximate age and gender of caller
- Speech pattern, accent, or other distinguishing vocal traits
- Emotional state of caller
- Background noises
Notify MMU Public Safety, 414-930-3333 as soon as possible. MMU Public Safety will notify law enforcement.
- If injury/illness is life threatening, call 911 (911 from University phone), then call MMU Public Safety, 414-930-3333. Describe circumstances and advise that an emergency 911 call has been made.
- Stay at location of emergency until MMU Public Safety or emergency personnel arrive.
- Pull fire alarm and call MMU Public Safety, 414-930-3333.
- Identify a designated meeting area and evacuate the building
- Close windows and doors as you exit. Do not use elevators.
- Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrant areas, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- If confronted, follow directives by MMU Public Safety, Police or Fire Officials.
- Do not re-enter building until declared safe by Police, Fire, and/or University officials.
- Immediately move to interior hallway in the lowest level of the building, away from windows.
- Do not close windows or doors as you leave.
- If confronted by MMU Public Safety Officers, follow their directives.
- Remain in the shelter area until an “all clear” is given by University officials.
- Refer to the posted directions in each biological or chemical lab with regard to the location of spill kit and fire extinguisher.
- Call MMU Public Safety, 414-930-3333. If the type and location of hazardous material are known, report that information to Public Safety.
- Evacuate to a designated area – close doors as you leave.
- If confronted by MMU Public Safety, Police or Fire officials, follow their directives.