Alpha Kappa Delta Honor Society
Alpha Kappa Delta is the international honor society in sociology. The Epsilon Chapter of Wisconsin was established at Mount Mary in 1965. The guiding principle of the society is “to investigate humanity for the purpose of service.”
You are eligible to join the society if you have completed at least four sociology courses, have maintained at least a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses, have at least a 3.3 overall GPA and have at least a junior or senior status. New members are inducted each semester.
Contact Lynne Woehrle, faculty adviser, for more information on this honor society.
Service Learning in Sociology
You can enhance your education through service learning opportunities in the Milwaukee area. Some sociology classes have a service learning component, but you also can gain valuable experience and work for social justice by engaging in service learning on your own or with other classmates.
Sociology majors have performed service learning in the following areas and with the following organizations.
Service to Children
- Community Advocates/Milwaukee Women’s Center
- Milwaukee College Prep
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission-Cross Trainers Academy
- Notre Dame Middle School
- Sojourner Family Peace Center
- Hope House
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission’s Joy House
- Repairers of the Breach
Service to Adults
- 9 to 5 Milwaukee
- Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin
- House of Peace
- Lutheran Social Services
- Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Service
- Voces de la Frontera
- Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod – Model English Language Outreach Program
Service to Older Adults
- Interfaith Older Adult Programs
- Lutheran Home & Hardwood Place – Early Bird Club
Addressing Neighborhoods/Environmental Issues
- Agape Community Center
- Growing Power
- New Moon Productions – Guns, Grief and Grace in America
- Urban Ecology Center
- Walnut Way Conservation Corp