Grace Scholars Program
The Grace Scholars Program covers 85 percent of tuition for four years for incoming freshmen from the city of Milwaukee who demonstrate good academic performance and financial need. The program provides young women leaders with academic, personal and financial support as they create their future and fulfill their dreams at Mount Mary University. Each year, only 30 students are selected to be part of the program.
NEW THIS YEAR: In support of our continued partnerships with community-based organizations in Milwaukee,
the following organizations will receive one guaranteed spot within the 16-17 Grace Scholars Program (student must be enrolled in pre-college program
and/or high school, meet Grace selection requirements, and be accepted to the University
to qualify). Final decisions are determined by the Grace Scholars Program Director.
Organizations include: Boys and Girls Club, Carmen High School, College Possible, Pearls for Teen Girls, Notre Dame Middle School Graduate Support Program, and Journey House.
Benefits of Being a Grace Scholar
- The Grace Scholars award, in conjunction with federal and state financial aid, covers 85 percent of tuition annually for up to four years.
- Grace Scholars are encouraged to live on campus in Caroline Hall. To make this possible, Mount Mary offers Grace Scholars a generous Residential Grant if they choose to live on campus.
- Grace Scholars attend a six-week Summer Bridge Program before their first semester at Mount Mary. This program helps students develop skills for success in and outside of the classroom, and helps them transition to college. Students will earn up to 4 college credits during the Summer Bridge Program.
Accounting & Spanish ’17
"The Grace Scholars Program has made it possible for me to attend college and create a bright future. I feel as if Mount Mary is one big family and being part of this community is a true blessing."
Grace Scholars Program Eligibility*
To be eligible for the Grace Scholars Program, students must:
- be a resident of the City of Milwaukee
- demonstrate financial need
- demonstrate leadership experience through curricular and extracurricular activities
- be under 21 years old
- be a first-time college student**
- be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
How to Apply for the Grace Scholars Program
1. Apply to Mount Mary and be accepted for the 2016-17 academic year.
3. Submit a two-to-three page essay addressing the following questions:
- What activities, in or out of high school, have you been involved in? Include work history, special projects, clubs, church-related and/or volunteer activities.
- What have you learned about yourself from these activities?
- How have you significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, contributed to group efforts or in some other way demonstrated that you are a leader? Give specific examples of your leadership experience.
4. Submit one letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor or non-family member.
5. Complete the online Net Price Calculator
Each applicant must also file the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.gov/. The FAFSA will be available as of January 1, 2016. Mount Mary University's priority deadline is March 1, 2016.
6. Complete an on-campus interview. As part of the application process, select finalists will be invited to an on-campus interview for one of the 30 Grace Scholarships. Applicants to the Grace Scholars Program must be accepted to Mount Mary University at least two weeks prior to the interview date.
Important dates and deadlines for the 2016-17 academic year:
- Grace Scholars Information Session - Thursday, November 5, 6 p.m.
- Grace Scholars Application Deadline: Thursday, January 21, 2016 (by 4:30 p.m.)
- Please note: you MUST be accepted to Mount Mary one week prior to the application
- Please note: you MUST be accepted to Mount Mary one week prior to the application deadline.
Contact the Admission Office with Questions
Contact your admission counselor or the Mount Mary University Admission Office with any questions regarding the Grace
*Pre-Nursing students are not eligible for the Grace Scholars Program.
**Students who have college credit from a two- or four-year college or university are not eligible to apply.