Mount Mary University offers a Reading Teacher (316) license program. This program enables licensed teachers with a minimum of two years of teaching experience to be licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. This program can be completed as a standalone program or in conjunction with the Master of Arts in Education program.

Reading Teacher (316) License Curriculum Requirements

This program requires the completion of the following 17 graduate credits:

  • EDU 502: Teaching Reading & Language Arts in the Middle/Secondary School (3 credits)
  • EDU 510: Developmental Reading for the Middle Childhood, Gr. 3-5 (4 credits)
  • EDU 511: Developmental Reading for Early Childhood, Pre-K-Gr. 2 (4 credits)
  • EDU 523: Reading & Learning Disabilities (3 credits)
  • EDU 559: Assessment & Instruction of Literacy Difficulties (3 credits) 

Based on your previous licensure and coursework, up to 6 undergraduate credits may be substituted for two of these courses. 

Application Deadlines

  • August 1, for fall semester entry
  • December 1, for spring semester entry
  • May 1, for summer semester entry

How to Apply to the Reading Teacher (316) License Program

To be licensed through Mount Mary University, you need to apply and be admitted to the Reading Teacher (316) license program. If you wish to also pursue the Master of Arts in Education degree, these graduate-level reading courses may be applied to the elective component of that degree program. You also may choose to enroll in these courses as part of your license renewal plan.

Note: If you wish to pursue the Master of Arts in Education degree, in addition to the Reading Teacher (316) license, you will need to follow the application procedures for the Master of Arts in Education program.

To be eligible to apply for the Reading Teacher (316) license program, you must hold a teaching license from Wisconsin or another state, as well as submit the following application materials: 

  1. Complete and submit the online Graduate Student Application.
  2. Submit the nonrefundable application fee ($45 for domestic students; $100 for international students). You can submit the payment online by credit card or e-check through Transact Payments on the MyMountMary portal. Note: The application fee is waived for Mount Mary alumnae. If you’re an alumna, contact your graduate admission counselor to obtain the waiver code prior to submitting your application.
  3. Submit your official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. You will need to contact each institution (typically the registrar’s office) to have your transcript sent directly to Mount Mary University. If you are in the process of completing a bachelor’s degree, send your current transcript at the time of application and then send your final transcript once your degree is conferred. If you previously attended Mount Mary, you do not need to request Mount Mary transcripts, but you should provide transcripts from other schools, if applicable.  Official transcripts can be submitted via mail or electronically to:
    • Mount Mary University, Graduate Admissions, 2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway, Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597
  4. Provide a copy of your teaching license(s). To obtain a copy of your teaching license in Wisconsin, contact the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. If you do not hold a teaching license, please contact the program director before applying.
  5. Complete and submit a criminal background check. Submit a criminal background check received from the Wisconsin Department of Justice (or student's state of residence). 

Submit all application materials via postal mail or email to:

  • Mount Mary University, Graduate Admission Office, 2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway, Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597

Admission decisions will be made after all application materials are received. Learn how to check on your application status

Email or contact your graduate admission counselor with application questions.

Transfer Credits

A maximum of 9 credits or 30 percent of total program credits, whichever is greater, may be transferred from other regionally accredited institutions with the approval of the program director. All transfer credits must be at a grade B or better, and must be documented with official transcripts. Credit earned prior to admission will be evaluated during the admission process only.