The Professional Doctorate of Art Therapy program requires the following:
- A master's degree in art therapy from a regionally accredited institution, with a minimum 3.5 GPA and documented excellence in graduate clinical practica and capstone project/thesis.
- Board certification in art therapy and licensure (as an LPC or equivalent).
- 3 years of professional practice as an art therapist.
- Application portfolio that includes written reflection on doctoral career goals, sample of scholarly writing, demonstration of basic computer skills, art portfolio, transcripts, and letters of recommendation from academic and clinical mentors or supervisors.
* International applicants will be evaluated regarding equivalencies to the criteria above.
How to Apply
Application deadline: March 15
The following materials constitute a complete application for the Professional Doctorate of Art Therapy graduate program:
- application for graduate study
- $45 application fee ($100 for international students)
- transcripts (Use Mount Mary's transcript request form to help move the process forward.)
- three letters of recommendation (see the form for letters of recommendation)
- documentation of professional credentials (ATR, ATR-BC and license, or statement of eligibility and plan of action to meet this requirement)
- portfolio of artworks (12-20 images on CD of original artworks demonstrating artistic skills and familiarity with a range of media)
- doctoral application essay
- résumé or curriculum vitae
- sample of scholarly writing or publication
Application materials should be submitted to the Office for Graduate Education, 2900 North Menomonee River Parkway,
Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597.
For formal admission to the Professional Doctorate of Art Therapy Program, please submit all the materials outlined in the Professional Doctorate of Program Admissions Procedure document. Please download this document and keep the instructions for easy reference.
*From its inception, Mount Mary College has been a women's college. Male students are welcome to enroll in our post-baccalaureate certificate and graduate programs.
For more information about the Professional Doctorate of Art Therapy program, contact:
Office for Graduate Education
Mount Mary College
2900 North Menomonee River Parkway
Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597