Undergraduate Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Our admission counselors have compiled a list of common questions many prospective undergraduate students have throughout the admission process. For questions on scholarships and financial aid, see our financial aid FAQs. If you have additional questions, please contact your admission counselor and she will be happy to help.

Admission, Application and Visiting Campus Questions

Transfer Credits Questions

Academic Program Questions

Other Questions

How do I apply for admission?

To apply for admission, you need to apply online and submit official transcripts from all high school and college coursework completed. High school students also need to submit standardized test scores. See application instructions for high school students and other first-time college applicants. See instructions for transfer students.

Is there a fee to apply?

There is no fee to apply for undergraduate admission to Mount Mary unless you are an international applicant.

What is the deadline to apply?

Mount Mary offers rolling admission, meaning there is no deadline to apply for admission. However, there are scholarship and financial aid deadlines and most do require acceptance status for consideration.

Do you prefer ACT or SAT scores?

Students enrolling directly from high school are required to submit standardized test scores as part of the application process. Mount Mary accepts both ACT and SAT scores. Preference is not given to one over the other.

How do I request transcripts?

You can request high school transcripts through your high school guidance office, guidance counselor or student record’s office. For college transcripts, contact your previous institution to learn about its process for transcript requests. College transcript requests can be done through the registrar’s office, student records office or through a third-party service, such as the National Student Clearinghouse. Use our transcript request form (PDF) to help you request transcripts.

What counts as an “official” transcript?

For transcripts to be considered official, they should be sent to Mount Mary directly from the high school or college. Students are allowed to hand-deliver transcripts, but they must be in a sealed envelope with an official seal, stamp or signature over the envelope flap.

Does Mount Mary require letters of recommendation for admission?

Most applicants do not need to provide letters of recommendation for admission. Some applicants may be asked to submit letters of recommendation as supporting documentation for their admission application. Some scholarships may require letters of recommendation.

When will I find out my admission status?

Once Mount Mary has received all materials required to complete your application for admission, you will be notified of your admission status within one to two weeks. Check your application status online.

Will my college credits transfer to Mount Mary?

As a student who has completed college coursework, your transfer admission counselor will evaluate all of your college credits. Your counselor can tell you what courses will transfer and what requirements they will fulfill.

How many credits will transfer?

You can transfer up to 72 credits from a two-year school or technical college. There is no limit to the number of credits you can transfer from a four-year institution.

How long will it take me to complete my degree at Mount Mary?

Your admission counselor will evaluate your prior college coursework and can tell you how many years or semesters you will have at Mount Mary to complete your degree.

Will you accept my AP scores?

Official score reports must be received by Mount Mary for an evaluation of AP credits. Scores of 3, 4 or 5 usually will be granted college credit. For an official evaluation, please submit your score report or call with questions. Also, see information on ways to earn college credit in high school.

What is the average class size?

The average class size at Mount Mary is 15 students.

What is the faculty-to-student ratio?


What is Mount Mary’s accreditation?

Mount Mary is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Individual academic programs also are accredited by accrediting bodies in their field. Learn more about Mount Mary’s accreditation.

When do I get to register for coursework for my first semester?

You will receive information about signing up for a Registration Day after you've been accepted and once the dates are available. Among many other important things, you will sign up for your first semester's coursework during Registration Day.

Do I have to apply for admission to specific departments or programs?

The first step for all programs is to apply and be admitted to Mount Mary University. Some undergraduate academic programs require additional steps for admission to the department or program. Visit the academic program’s web page for more information on admission requirements and processes.

What classes will I have to take at Mount Mary?

As a Mount Mary student, you will complete the university’s core curriculum, all coursework in your major and elective credits. Some students choose to have a minor or second major. Learn more about your academic major’s requirements.

How much is tuition?

See current tuition and fees for undergraduate students.

Am I required to live on campus?

Full-time, first-year students entering Mount Mary University directly from high school who are not living at home with their parents or immediate family members are required to reside in Caroline Hall to gain a truly unique first-year experience. On-campus housing in Caroline Hall is available for all Mount Mary students. Learn more about housing at Mount Mary.

Do I have to be Catholic to be a student at Mount Mary?

No. While Mount Mary is a Catholic institution, sponsored by the School Sisters of Notre Dame, students of all faith traditions are welcome.


Read Article