Accessibility Services

Mount Mary University is committed to providing equal opportunities in higher education to academically qualified students with disabilities. If you have a recognized physical, learning, sensory or psychological disability or medical impairment, you can access tools and resources to help you master course content.

New to MMU, or in need of accommodations for the first time? It's as easy as 1-2-3!

1. Apply for Accommodations

2. Provide Documentation

3. Schedule an Appointment with Accessibility Services



Returning Students Renew Your Accommodations Online

Renew My Accommodations


How do I schedule an appointment to set up accommodations?
Please call Accessibility Services at (414) 930-3214 or email us at to set up an appointment.

Are the appointments in person or virtual?
Appointments can be completed either virtually or in person, as requested by the student. Students and staff will wear masks for the duration of the visit. Students are encouraged to limit meetings to no more than one other guest if in person. Should the student wish to bring more than one guest with them for the meeting, they should let Accessibility Services as soon as possible so a larger room can be reserved.

How will I/ my faculty receive my Accommodation Letter this semester?
In order to reduce 'high touch' surfaces as well as decreasing the need for in person meetings, Accommodation Letters will be electronically released to faculty this semester. Students may choose whether they wish to email a copy of their Accommodation Letter to faculty themselves or deliver a paper copy. Accessibility Services will print out paper copies for students upon request.

I do not want to wear a mask on campus, or I believe that my health condition/ disability does not allow me to wear a mask on campus. Who should I talk to?
Students who have concerns about wearing masks on campus should work with Accessibility Services to discuss.

I have missed class(es) due to medical reasons/ illness; what do I do?
If your health issue is related to a personal diagnosis of COVID-19, students should follow MMU policy by contacting the VP of Student Affairs at

Students should work with their specific faculty member to discuss options to make up work or attend class remotely should they miss class due to other health related issues or if they have significant exposure to a person who has tested positive to COVID-19.

If your class absence is related to your disability or chronic health condition and you feel that you need to discuss accommodations to help you, please contact Accessibility Services to determine if there are any modifications possible to your Accommodation Letter that could assist you.

Contact Accessibility Services

You can email, call, or fax Jackie Wells, the Director of Accessibility Services. You may also schedule an individual appointment.

Office Location: Student Success Center, Haggerty Library, RM 124
Phone: (414) 930-3214
Fax: (414) 930-3700